Sign in to follow this  

g2d.dll crash while using VTP2 polygon scenery

Hi all,During beta testing an upcoming scenery of mine one out of 25 testers had constant FS crashes when using my VTP2 polygon bgl addition that I've created with Ground2k containing several simple polygons. The crash message of FS shows an error in the g2d.dll which is one of the main modules of FS2002.I've split the bgl up into several small ones with just one polygon per file and sent them to the tester - but to no avail. Each of these files crashed so it doesn't seem to be the combination of polygons in one file. 24 testers run it without any problems. The guy has a high classed system with enough ram and current video card setup.I'm at the end of the line with this problem. Any idea?Rainer

Hi Rainer.If 24 of 25 testers had no problems, I would assume the problem lies with that user's FS2002 setup, rather than with your scenery. The fact he cannot display any vtp polys definitely points to a problem with his FS2002 setup.I would suggest that tester try the BGLs with a fresh install of FS2002.. without any addons. Hopefully, the scenery is installed with the standard procedure, by adding a project folder, with it's "scenery" sub-folder, via the Scenery Library.I have used literally hundreds of vtp bgls, dozens derived from Ground2K, many from other designers, and never have had that type of error.I have generated that type of error by trying to alter, or replace, the default DLLs of FS2002. I have also generated dll module errors by trying to use FS2002 TDF-type bgls with CFS2.Dick

I think Dick is right, but what kind of textures do you use on the polygons? It seems that non DXT textures sometimes also give problems (but not with everybody).Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno,>but what kind of textures do you use >on the polygons? It seems that non DXT textures sometimes >also give problems (but not with everybody). I'm using the default 'landclass' textures. The code is as follows:TextureDataStart label word texturemark_0 label word VTPTextureName "136" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 0 texturemark_1 label word VTPTextureName "128" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 0 texturemark_2 label word VTPTextureName "129" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 0 texturemark_3 label word VTPTextureName "115" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 0 texturemark_4 label word VTPTextureName "45" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 0 texturemark_5 label word VTPTextureName "121" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 0 texturemark_6 label word VTPTextureName "131" VTPTextureType 0, 0, 0, 0 texturemark_7 label wordTextureDataEnd label wordSo that is all pretty normal.The only thing that still comes to my mind is the fact that I have some roads (VTP Lines) overlapping the polygons i.e. I've designed the airport ground (apron and taxiways) with this technology - just to give you a picture what I'm talking about.Ground2k does accept it all without yelling like it does when you overlap two VTP polygons. BGLC doesn't care at all - as always :-)Heck, it's a mixed feeling releasing something where one of the testers had such a serious error. I agree - Dick might be right though.Rainer

OK, if you use the default textures I don't think it should be a problem.Overlaying polygons shouldn't either. We also use them (with different layers ussually) and that doesn't give a problem.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Hi Rainer.I looked at your scenery, and I believe it's just fine.As far as VTP polys and lines, you can have as many overlapping as you want, and whatever layers you want ( Same layers or different layers ). The datastream and layer order sort everything out.Ground2K has some special needs for overlapping VTP polys ( Imbrication assignments ), but that is a restriction confined to the internal structure of Ground2K's .LWM file, not the ASM code or BGL produced. But if an imbrication wasn't set right, the BGL would not get made at all, and an error code would be triggered.So now, of 26 testers, 25 are OK with your scenery. :)Dick

Guest Tony_A

Don't know if this is relevant but I was getting crashes with the G2D.dll message when changing to night-time. I did a few tests, setting the time till just before dusk and going into slew mode and speeding up the rate to 8x or 16x and sure enough when it came to the system "night" another crash. This was only occuring in certain scenery areas, other areas were fine. Just before deciding to reinstall FS, I realised the areas where I had the problem was where I had Cellgrid .bgls showing. Sure enough, removed the Cellgrid .bgls and everything was fine. ................ Tony

Hi Tony.The first version of cellgrid was made before much was known about the behavior of VTP method1 polys. In FS2002, VTP method1 polys MUST have a full seasonal and night set of textures, or it will crash the sim. Simply assigning one texture doesn't work. This has been corrected in the latest version of cellgrid... by assigning the same texture name to each season and night:VTPTextureName "LOD8define.bmp;LOD8define.bmp;LOD8define.bmp;LOD8define.bmp;LOD8define.bmp;LOD8define.bmp"Dick

After some searching for that little spot in the big amount of water :D, you can make the score 26 out of 27.Arno

Arno

LOLThanks, Arno!Rainer :-)>After some searching for that little spot in the big amount >of water :D, you can make the score 26 out of 27.

Guest RobA

Now you can make it 27 out of 27, Boss. ;-)Reinstalled 2k2, no addons, then redownloaded your scenery and installed. Beautiful! It was my setup afterall. :-) So, that's good news indeed. Don't know how I got so corrupted (blame it on my sister's influence ). Just recently I loaded a new Alaskan Bush scenery and ever since I've been having crashes with the facilities.dll and then the g2d.dll crash with your scenery. I shall be very careful how I add back in anything to the sim. Right now I have the fps locked at 25 and it never dips below it. Most importantly the sim is fluid and the new scenery is outstanding.Thanks to everyone that posted their thoughts on this. My bad. :-)Best regards,Rob AbernathyTDM9111

Hey Rob,That's good news indeed. Sigh... Thanks for the feedback. Subject closed :-DRainer