Sign in to follow this  

Transparency.... Background colour..... Whats Wrong!!!!

Hi guys, learning all the timeIn the picture below, a clip from DXTBmp, the Transparent preview still shows the Background colour of 0,0,0.Is there any way of avoiding this effect?I used a mask saved to alpha in Tga format, this operation is a little complicated, because I am Using 'BmpCrop', as my textures are being used in a 'Texture Grid' The mask was created using 'Source Opacity' I have tried DXT1 and DXT3, although I guess DXT3(A) is the type I would need to use, given I need a varied level of transparency.I am just trying to create an overspray effect in the edge of the transparencyHope someone can sort me out!!! i'll be grateful...RegardsDave

Hi Dave.Just a guess, but it appears there is some kind of anti-aliasing happening here... in other words, the black areas aren't completely black at the edges, so the alpha mask isn't quite right. In your paint program, there needs to be a way to turn the anti-aliasing off during the black overspray.Dick

Hi DickThanks for the replyI have got round this problem by selecting a colour very close to the colour I am using in the mask, as the background colour instaead of 0,0,0. and this as worked quite well with a DXT3(A)I have attached a sample of my work before the background colour is added, I was using the spray tool which I guess could use a Anti-aliasing effect. When the mask is created, it shrinks the original image, if that helps.I couldn't find anyway to turn off Anti Alaising!! in PSP7still appreciate any thoughts regarding this issueMany thanks Dave

Guest luissa

Dave,I assume you want to place a photo of an airfield with TexPoly(). And that you want the photo to blend nicely with the under default texture. Here is what I used to do:1) Start with a photo in bitmap format (millions of colors) with edge size equal to a power of 2. Example: picture12) Make a copy of picture1 as the first stage to create an alpha channel. With any suitable manual tool make a picture with 2 colors. Black for transparent regions and white for opaque. Make this contour using any roads or contrasts that your original photo may have. Example: picture23) Apply a low pass filter on picture2 to get picture3 (the blurr tool may be used for that). Apply the tool twice or more times until you get a good spreading. Example: picture3From here: 4) I would reduce the number of different colours in picture3 to 16 (that is good for a target 4444 format with 16 grades of transparency) by loading a 16-color JASC palette4) Add the alpha channel (picture3) to the original (picture1) and save it as TGA5) Open ImageTool and convert the TGA to 4444 or to DXT3Kind Regards, Luis

Hi Luis,DickThanks for your useful comments and suggestionsI guess Luis, you was suggesting creating as mask manually yourself and introducing some blur to the edges, interesting thought!!Thanks for the link, DickI'll keep you all posted, as I progressRegardsDave