Sign in to follow this  
Guest hefy_jefy

How Do I Make Sloping Runways?

Now that I have updated my scenery with a better mesh, I have discovered that the runways on Tinian sloped upwards from west to east by about 50 feet. Not much on an 8,500 foot runway, but when I raise the runway high enough to clear the east side, the west side is now 50 feet higher than it should be.If possible, I would like to simply lay the whole airport on top of the existing terrain, including the runways. I have tried several methods and none seems to work. Lowering the runways causes them to plow through the scenery and the ground detail seems to disappear.Appreciate any thoughts,Phil

With the runway command you can only make flat runways. If you want sloping runways you should make the runway with CUSTOM textures or maybe with a VTP polygon.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

I don't think you can harden a curved or sloping surface. From what I understand, hardening is for flat surfaces only.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I don't know if this will be useful, but one of my experiments was to create a series of short runways each with a flat area underneath. The idea was to create a slope by raising the level of each flat area by a foot or so.That didn't work. Instead the airplane plows through the dirt until only the tip of the tail is showing.But the good news is- the terrain does not seem to be affected- except at the beginning and the end of the segment. And there is no bouncing. So it might be possible to eliminate the bounce by putting a runway slightly under a dirt strip.Phil

Not sure, I don't think a SurfaceType command effects the ground level. I have never tried adding one to a non flat area, but I guess that could work.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest hefy_jefy

Well, I have been able to make a ramp leading down to the water using multiple flatten polygons (didn't know you could do this until I tried FSSC), I used Coastline Maker to put a road over it. I doubt if you could land there without breaking the aeroplane though! I remember that Arno had an earlier simple version of "Bumpy" would this help?Geoff

Bumpy will not read VTP polygons or so, but I am going to try a similar piece of code on a sloping mesh and see what happens.Arno

Arno

Maybe that's the best approach.I have tried substituting a taxiway for the runway, since it drapes across the terrain. However, I get bounced around by the underlying terrain. If I can flatten the underlying mesh at a slope (without resorting to the flatten command), perhaps this would stop.Can Ground2K handle this kind of task?Phil

Hi Arno.If what is wanted is smooth surface, then SurfaceType is just what should be used. ; RussianSurfaceType.sca N64* 10.923' E49* 10.277';;Header( 1 N65:00:00.0000 N64:00:00.0000 E050:00:00.0000 E049:0:00.0000 );LatRange( N64:00:00.0000 N65:00:00.0000 );;; RHU1Area( 5 N64:10:55.3800 E049:10:13.6200 ); RefPoint( rel :Surface_Fail 1.00 N64:10:55.3800 049:10:13.6200 V1= 6000 V2= 1000 );; the v2 can control the area of autogen excluded!; a v2 of 999 will exclude autogen in a rectangle of 500 x 999 (?); a v2 of 500 will exclude autogen in a square of 500; a v2 of 1000 will not exclude autogen at all; so the v2 should be equal to or greater than the surface rectangle; this also suggests v2 is not a round radius, but square x,y with dimensions dependant on the refpoint scaling.; RotatedCall( :Surface_Area 0 0 0 ) Jump( : );:Surface_Area SurfaceType( 0 500 1000 0 ) ; 1st parameter... 0 = smooth 1= rough 2 = water Return;:Surface_Fail Return;EndA0 is a smooth surface that wont kick up dust, 1 is rough like the default, 2 is water... you can have water up the side of a mountain if you like! From the SCASM docs:SurfaceType( type width_x width_y alt ) This instruction defines the surface properties of a given rectangular area. Note, you cannot 'harden' an elevated surface with this command! Use aditional section 16 commands for this.type 0 smooth surface, runnway, taxiway 1 rough surface, grass 2 water surface, causes splash/crash width_xwidth_y W-E ...N-S deviation, depends on the scale factors in the RefPoint() command. The width is measured from the left (or upper) side to the right (or lower) side. (integer) alt Altitude of the surface measured in meters (integer). In FS2000 this parameter is ignored Dick

Yes, I now that command rather good after I made bumpy, but I had never tested it on a sloped area before. I did now and I can say it works!Here is a pic of me sliding down the Alps in my Cessna and see no dust :).http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/downhill.jpgSo this should also work for sloped runways.Arno

Arno

Guest hefy_jefy

Hey!Worked for me too, now I can taxi down to the water without mud flying in all directions...Why doesn't the altitude of the SurfaceType matter? My 7 flatten polygons were at 57ft,45ft,32ft,20ft,12ft,5ft and 0ft. It worked for the whole area.The tricky part is getting the SurfaceType 0 to finish exactly at the water's edge, otherwise the water goes "hard" and that looks really silly!Geoff

The surfacetype command doesn't have anything to do with the altitude, it doesn't set an altitude or so, only the ground properties for a certain area. The SCASM docs also say that the altitude parameter is ignored in Fs2000 (and probably also Fs2002 thus).Arno

Arno

Guest luissa

Hi Dick,One way to get a non rectangular smooth area with SurfaceType is to combine it with a SenseBorder like in this example:Area( 5 d 0 0 35 ) RefPoint( abs : 1 d 0 0 V1= 2000 V2= 2000 E= 0 ) SenseBorder( : 95 953 ; 0 94 865 ; 1 83 839 ; 2 -12 731 ; 3 -13 955 ; 4 ) SurfaceType( 0 5000 5000 0 )EndARegards, Luis

I think that is the best way indeed, that's the same approach I use in Bumpy. Not sure if you can rotate a SurfaceType even.Arno

Arno