Sign in to follow this  

Tricky Texture Grid/Resolution..............

Hi all I'm not sure how to explain this one, other than say what I have doneI have a 768*768 Texture which represents the perimeter of my airfield, which I am spliting into 256*256 pixel files and loading into DXTBmp for conversion. The points() and Texpoly() Commands are creating individual boxes 256*256 and the refpoint() command is multiplying in the 'Scale factor flag' by a figure of 1.25??? to get my bitmap to fit the VFGM scenery, in the UK.My question I guess, is how do I get my bitmap that I have created to be represented at the same resolution in the FS2002. (1:1) Obviously I realise that by multiplying the bitmap by a factor of 1.25?? is enlarging the texture, and I have to work in multiples of 32*32 64*64 128*128 for textures, but can the boxes I put the textures in be different.The object here is to replace my Ground Textures and Polygons to a single bitmap.I have seen an approach where a certain size texture may be used as a base and a larger sample of this texture is actually used to add greater detail, then reduced to fit, but I do not fully understand this approach or know the correct method for doing this.A single pixel seems to get enlarged anyway, I recall a figure of 1=4.8 is this correct, how does one get a 1:1 representation of pixels, or is this a secret of some scenery designers!!!I have used the Airbrush in PSP7 and combined layers to try and achieve a multi-coloured texture, but the overspray effect that I want tends to be splodgy, due to the enlarging, or 1=4.8 !!!A lot of questions here, I realise, I find it a confusing subject area, 'Grey' not Black or White, un like scasm!!!! any Tutorials!!!I'd appreciate any helpRegardsDave

Hi guys, a slight correction to my original post, unable to re-editThe 256*256 textures are placed in boxes 512*512 metreshope that clarifies, could be importantRegardsDave

I must say you confused me a bit :D, but let's try to get it clear.The resolution of 4.8 meters per pixel is only needed if you want to place the textures as CUSTOM.If you want to place them around your airport you can also flatten the area and then place them with a SCASM TexPoly command (or new FP commands if you like) for example. In that case you can use any resolution you want. The question then ussually is, what is the resolution of the texture I have made? After that you can make the SCASM polygon on that size.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi ArnoThanks for your reply and sorry for the confusionMy first question was really, 1. How do I achieve the same resolution of my bitmap, once loaded in FS2002 as a texture? Does each pixel get multiplied by 4.8?2. I think Defining Resolution may help? = is this 256*256 pixels or is it 1 pixel = 4.8 metre and How would I change this 1=4.8 to 1=1I am trying to achieve textures that don't get enlarged by by Fs and that remain in the state that they were createdDo the new Vp commands no longer restrict the use of 32*32 multiples?I'm sure I need to understand the basics, although these may be changing with the Vp commandsI hope you can help me further and many thanksDave

I think the definition of resolution should be the amount of meters that is covered by a certain pixel when placed in the sim.For the landclass and CUSTOM textures the resolution is 4.8 meters per pixels, because one 256x256 texture is placed in a LOD8 square.But if you place the bitmap with your own SCASM code (only works for a flat area) then you can get any resolution you want. You can then define the size of the polygon where your texture will be applied to. If you make that polygon 256x256 meter then a 256x256 texture will have a resolution of 1 meter per pixel. If you make it 128x128 meter you can even get a resolution of 0.5 meter per pixel. You don't have to do anything special to the texture for this, only knowing what resolution the photo you uses has maybe :).Hope this helps (a bit further),Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi ArnoThanks for such a quick reply. I'm very grateful for your explanation, As usual, I am doing certain things with scasm without understanding!!!I think I can now go ahead and experiment with some of what you have said, as this makes alot more sense and from my results, I'll be able to achieve the outcome I needI'm sure your get to hear my progress on the forumThe trouble is, having learn't all this design for one airfield, I can't give up scenery design!!!!thanks again to you and others for your continued supportDave