Sign in to follow this  
Guest fame

What software to buy?

Ok folks ... I have enough money for one program. I have used FSSC from Derek and it just won't do what I want to do. I have used Dereks tutorial and I guess I need something with a nice manual to get lost in. I have "built" my own island in the Florida Keys with sucess using FSSC but as I said .. I have enough small problems with it that I do not understand without a detailed manual. FSSC won't do rolling waves on the coastline or multiple altitudes on the island ...Anyway ..... help me out. I hate to spend the money for software that won't work ... been there and done that. I even have the tee shirt. What's the best designer program on the same ease of use as FSSC?Thanks ......

I think you are looking for another kind of software than FSSC, if I understood you right there, that is. I still think you should keep to freeware, as basically most of the best programs still are to be found from the freeware scene when it comes to scenery design. If you want to do landscape like in FS2002, Ground2k is a really interesting and quite easy program to use. Elevation data/MESH can also be made with free tools I think.

Guest fame

Hi dbstark:I recommend the following programs:FS Architect 2002.The software is very easy to install and use. You can download a Freeware version for evaluation purposes, plus a commercial version 3.00 build 14 is also available. Take a peek at this Websitehttp://www.pouksim.com/ for additional information and a feel for it's ease of use.There are other programs as well, such as Airport for Windows, SCASM, gmax and FS Scenery Creator to name a few of the better known ones. FS Scenery Creator is my pick for a very nice freeware program. All have a learning curve...I hope this helps in some small way, visit the URL below (see sig), for additional ideas and suggestions.Good luckTom G, Sr.

Yes, I agree with that. For programs like FSSC the other freeware alternatives GroundMaker (www.groundmaker.org) and Airport (www.airportforwindows.com) are the best (and FSSC it self also of course).I think some of the features you want have to do with mesh scenery and indeed those programs are not designed to make that. Ground2k is a good program that is now developped for that. But don't expect very detailed documentation yet, most of those programs are still new as mesh design tools are all under development still.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog