Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Changing airport name in afd.bgl

I was trying to change an airport or VOR name in a stock afd file. I disassembled it using BGLanalyze 2.0 and 3.0. Both of these output sca files which strip out the name (which ATC uses) for the communications facilities. For example, it would produce:frequency (121.5 8)instead of: frequency (121.5 8 "OHARE")I found another tool, SCDIS 2.2 but it has the same behavior. AFCAD doesn't work for this application. I suppose a hex editor couldbe used directly on the .bgl.Any ideas?scott s..

The names of airports and NAVAIDS are located in separate *.bgl files for the scenery. Look at the NAVAIDS *.bgls, for example, in your drive:FS2002SCENEDBWesthemusneScenery folder all the way to the bottom:usneils.bglUSNEMKB.BGLUSNENDB.BGLUSNEVOR.BGLWhere your particular airport file might be is anybody's guess.If a scenery designer makes a brand new airport, one not in the FS2002 default files, they build the scenery with the information embedded in the scenery *.bgl files and also make an AFD file for displaying the information on the Map display and GPS.Therefore, you have two problems. The AFD file can be opened with AFCAD and the AI gates, taxiways, etc. can be added and other things can be changed and recompiled. However, it is only going to affect what the AI does for parking, taxiing, etc., plus the Map display and GPS will show the information.To change a NAVAID, I recommend EasyNavs by Herve Sors - http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/index.html . For the airport, it will be more of a challenge since you would have to search all the files to find your airport to make a change. That is generally why airport designers exclude the default airport and update/replace with their airport.

I am familiar with those, but that is not my problem. I am specifically asking about FS2002 facility files in the afdfilesscenery folder. You can change the ident of an ILS or VOR using easynavs (for those files) and AFCAD (for the afd files) but the name is indexed by region / country / city in the afd.bgl and AFCAD will show it but not change it. You can text edit an exported airport file, but having one ICAO reference two different airports I think causes problems. (this is the information in the Namelist block at the end of the export file.) That namelist block has to index the container block for the airport or VOR. I think it is an error for 2 namelist entries to point to the same container.Here is an AFCAD export extract for Dulles (KIAD):Container( APT 1 ) APLocation( N38:56.6716 W77:27.3486 95.40 ) ICAO_ID( KIAD )... Frequency( 134.850 ATIS "KIAD" ) Frequency( 135.700 CDEL "DULLES" )...EndCNameList( 409 ) NameEntry( REGION 0 "North America" ) NameEntry( COUNTRY 0 "United States" ) NameEntry( STATE 0 "Virginia" ) NameEntry( CITY 0 "Washington" ) NameEntry( AIRPORT 1 "Washington Dulles Intl" )EndNLThe NameEntry( AIRPORT... line is what I want to change.I could export every controlled airport in the file (600 airports don't know how many controlled) but that's not realistic.BGLanalyze extracts the whole file, but drops all the text (between the "") out of the Frequency lines.scott s..