Sign in to follow this  

Gmax error

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone could help me on this one...up until now I have had no problems with gmax...however (since no changes) I have suddenly started getting a very annoying error.Whenever I try to load the material navigator, I get an error message telling me gmax has to close. Because of this I cannot tetxure anything at all...and I've tried using different render drivers etc...if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.Oli.

Which version are you using? 1.0 (and I think also 1.1) had a bug that gave an error with the material navigator when you tried to use it on a sunday.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello Arno,Not version 1.1, I think, as I have not bothered to get the latest version and was using it yesterday with no problem.Best regards.Luis

Luis,Actually, Gmax is in version 1.2 now and I'd highly recommend upgrading. The only thing you might find jarring is that they changed the material editor to match that of 3DS Max more closely, and it looks nothing like the one you're used to in 1.1. But even that isn't too big a deal if you just familiarize yourself with it before launching into a project.I can tell you that since upgrading to 1.2, I've seen a real boost to stability on my system. In fact, I've only crashed it once in a couple of weeks of modeling, and that's amazing considering how often 1.1 used to bail out on me.thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

I agree completely. I don't think 1.2 has ever crashed for me. The new material editor will take a little while to learn, but after that it is just as easy to use as the old one.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

the material editor will still crash ver 1.2 if you try to name a material before you apply it. That's the only one I've found.B

Now that you say it :), I have had a crash with that a few times (although lately it doesn't seem to happen anymore, maybe it was only on my other PC).Arno

Arno

Thank you for the advice, Bill. You are obviously right - there must be advantages or Discreet would not have released it.I am running Flight Simulator on an old WinBook (566MHz, 64 MB RAM, 5.6 GB hard disk, ATI Rage chip with 4 MB memory). At the moment, I only have 800 MB free on the disk and do not use this space because PhotoShop's needs are more important than getting a new version of a program that already does what I want. http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e92c109692e7bb3.jpgAlso, I have a phobia about long waits for downloads on my very slow modem - why bother?In a few months, we shall all get an even newer version of gMax on the Flight Simulator disks, and this is fine with me. There is no rush.By the way, in spite of my old and underpowered computer, I get about 30 frames per second just about everywhere I fly (except New York City, of course.) And that, with AI aircraft. And autogen all the way up. Amazing! And a great achievement by the Flight Simulator Development Team.Best regards.Luis

Hi OliJust to let you know i've been having crashes during the week when i was trying to apply textures to an object.This particular object already had a material assigned to itself, i was either changing an existing material colour that was assigned to the object or i added a replacement material on top of of the original one (can't remember which, but one of the two).This resulted in crashes, and Gmax having to shut down.Anyhow....I over came the problem by deleting the original material and then applied a new material, and that seemed to sort out the problem, no problems now :DHope this helps in anyway.Will