Sign in to follow this  
fspaan

Installing VOD, NOVA and Trees: different directory all

Hi all,Based on a previous post about installing Landclass as part of the scenery directory I would like some information about the following.I have downloaded the NOVA, VOD textures and the Trees file from Gerrish Gray. All textures should be installed into the FS2002/Textures folder.However, I was able to install another 3rd party Landclass file into the Scenery/Landclass folder and define it in the scenery.cfg file. Is the same also valid for NOVA, VOD and Trees?If this could be possible I would like to setup three directories in the scenery directory: NOVA, VOD and Trees with the two subdirectories Scenery and Texture. The files I would then place in either subdirectories and define this in scenery.cfg.Do you think this could work?Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest gorchi

Hi!I would advise You that You leave NOVA, VOD, Airport textures in FS2002Textures folder while You can put Gerrish's trees in some other folder but I would avoid making any subfolder in FS2002SCENERY folder. Personally I have all the sceneries completely outside FS2002. Let's say, I have FS2002 installed on drive D: and all the sceneries are in their own folders in folder Scenery on drive E: (eg. E:SCENERYSUISSE2002, E:SCENERYPFSLOWW, E:SCENERYGERRISH_TREES...). Every such folder has its own SCENERY and TEXTURES subfolder. My Scenery.cfg then looks something like this:

<Area.128>SceneryName=PFS WienLayer=128Required=FALSEActive=TRUELocal=E:SCENERYPFSLOWW

Be aware of Local line; only root folder for LOWW scenery is important, FS2002 will find both subfolders SCENERY and TEXTURE!!! If You write Local=E:SCENERYPFSLOWWSCENERYthen it is great probability, that this scenery will miss textures or even will not work.It may sound a little bit complicated but this way You have:- place, where sceneries are tidy- if You have two HDDs, put sceneries on other this than FS; it will be loaded faster while flyingBest regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Goran, Thanks for your reply! Could you or somebody else conirm whether FS2002 is also able to find subdirectories in the folder Textures? I understand when adding sceneries it will find the subfolder scenery and texture. But is this the same as in the FS2002Textures folder?If so, I would setup different subfolders like NOVA, VOD and TreesRegards, Ferry

Guest gorchi

Hi Ferry!No, maybe You didn't understand me right. I said it is better to leave SCENERY and TEXTURE subfolders of FS2002 as they are, no subfolders there. Those textures fo VOD, ASD, Airport.. they should be copied directly into FS2002TEXTURE folder, do not make any additional subfolders!FS is looking for textures something like this:1. if we have installed scenery in e:scenerypfslowwscenery then it will first go looking for texture in e:scenerypfslowwtexture folder.2. if there the texture is not available then it will go looking into folder FS2002TEXTURE3. if our texture is not there, then it will look in FS2002SCENEDBWORLDTEXTURE (anyway, keep fingers away from everything in SCENEDB subfolders!)There is also great probability that in scenery designer used library BGLS (like Gerrish's trees) so instead of looking the point 2., it will search the texture subfolder where it found BGL with library BGL, let's say E:scenerygerrish_treestextureFor addon sceneries You can use also ADDON SCENERY subfolder of FS2002 but I am not fond of doing it...I hope this will help You. Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

I agree with Gorans tips, but one note, always make sure that you have libraries like the tree libraries from Gerrish Gray only loaded once. So don't load them twice with two sceneries, because then (if the versions are different) you can get strange effects because FS does not know which version to choose.For the rest I would advice you to put the default textures (VOD/NOVA/ASD) in the main texture folder. Otherwise you would need to place them in any texture folder of a scenery that uses them. This is because they must either be in the main texture folder or in the texture folder of the scenery that uses them.Arno

Member Netherlands 2000 Scenery Team[link:home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen]Arno's FlightSim World for scenery design hints, tips and other tricks...

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi,Both thanks very much for your info! I moved all the textures to the FS2002textures following your advices. Only have to try it out now.