Sign in to follow this  
jkanold

NL2000 VTP (picture)

All those months I have been telling that we are also working on a VTP tool etc and now we finally have everything running, so I thought it's time to show a little picture :).http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/nl2k_vtp.jpgAs you can see there are still some bugs in it to solve, but basically all the polygons you see here are VTP or LWM (apart from the fields that are landclass). The roads are also VTP (but those have still some small bugs).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

That is really looking good! Keep up the good work!

Hi Arno,A poster at FLIGHTSIM scenery forum indicated he was going to Conquer the Netherlands scenery. I indicated he visit your site! :-lol All I can say is WOW!

Guest christian

Hi Arno,I see you have achieved what I still have to. I'm still stuck with splitting the polygons up. Have you just made triangles out of them? Looking at the way Microsoft did it it just doesn't make any sense to me...Can you give an estimate of speed impact of such high detailed scenery, ie how long does it take to initialise (generate all those textures) and how smooth is the flying?Cheers, Christian

Hi Arno.It looks very good. Did you ever solve the building objects problem... ( I remember you had thousands to place due to the lack of autogen )?I remember the first VFR flight I made of Walworth County, Wisconsin that used detailed GIS data for accuracy.What a thrill it is to fly a home area and to be able to recognise the roads, lakes, and streams!Dick

...........picture? You mean a real photograph? Amazing!___________________________________________________________

Guest gorchi

Hi Arno!It looks marvellous and You and Your team has come very close to the reality!

What a thrill it is to fly a home area and to be able to recognise the roads, lakes, and streams!
Rhumba, I totally agree with You. I also try to make my Slovenia scenery as close as it is possible to reality and VTP lines + Landclass gives so realistic effect that it looks like You are flying in reality. And looking Arno's picture or at my scenery, I have definitelly fallen in love flying GA aircraft around the country! ;) Arno, when do You expect release of NL 200x?Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi Christian,I didn't programm everything, so for those details I should ask Guido, but no he didn't split everything in triangles. Only for polygons that are concave or when they exceed the maximum number of points (we are using method1 polygons).The framerates still look good. The VTP/LWM part doesn't seem to have such a big influence. Only in the parts where we already have a lot of 3D objects you see the frames drop again. I still need to compare it to the default scenery, but it seems to work out better then our previous base scenery.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Hi Dick,No we still have no autogen on them and we have not decided yet if we are going to place the objects ourself (some members are afraid of the performance influence) or that we keep it this way without (semi)autogen.And I agree about your VFR experience, that way we added this detail to the NL2000 scenery when we started. Now we have it in the mesh scenery it fits even better in the default scenery :).

Arno

We haven't decided a release date yet. It now seems that the VTP/LWM part doesn't need that much work anymore. Now we need to finish our Dutch textures for the landclass and also finish the updates for all the airfields. So I think we are talking about a release in the summer.

Arno

Hi Arno.Advanced Buildings, as they are called in SCASM, shouldn't be a greater hit than autogen ( I think )... but there will be an FPS hit with it.A placement program could use a predefined library of 25+ styles, and could give a lot of variety to the scenery. Perhaps that's more work than it would be worth, and I understand the pressure to get the scenery released before FS2006. :)Your team has done a wonderful job, and it's good to see them stay together to complete this complex project.Dick

>Advanced Buildings, as they are called in SCASM, shouldn't be>a greater hit than autogen ( I think )... but there will be an>FPS hit with it.I don't really like the SCASM Advanced Buildings, they don't look like Dutch buildings (or even European buildings), so then it is better to not use them I would say.Our first goal was to get the creation of the VTP/LWM polygons correct and that works now (the tool produces around 70000 polygons (that is before splitting them)), so now we can go on to the further details like autogen of fakeautogen. I think it would at least be something we could try.>Your team has done a wonderful job, and it's good to see them>stay together to complete this complex project.The funny fact is that there are actually only two persons in the team we understand the VTP/LWM stuff. The rest is making the airfields, other 3D objects and also placing the polygons using our tool, but they have no clue of the code behind it :).

Arno

Guest Tony_A

Bloody Amazing ! ! !___