Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

LOD8 Calculation

Quick question - how do I determine what the coordinates are for a given LOD8 cell? Not the lat/lon borders, but the MSFS world LOD8 coordinates (on the 786x512 grid of worldwide LOD8 cells). I'm working with custom textures and doing a LOD8 chunk at a time, and I'd like to name them by their LOD8 coordinates....are there any calculators/formulas which can help me figure out if I am in LOD8 cell a,z or b,y ?Thanks for any assistance!(The search of the forums have turned up blanks for me today)-Greg

Hi Greg.LODCalc, by Richard Marklew.Sometimes the E/W button 'sticks'.. so change it, calculate, then change it back ( if needed ), and re-calculate.Dick

I currently am using LODCalc to decipher the lat/lon borders, but I am looking for the actual LOD8 grid coordinates... such as 123,166. Can LODCalc do that? I haven't seen that function yet! (Do those coordinates even exist!)Curious,-Greg

I always calculate that with just a pen, a piece of paper and my hand calculator :). You know how much cells there are and also how much degrees on cell is, so it is relatively easy to calculate then.For the latitude it is 180 degrees with is equal to 512 cells and for the longitude it is 360 degrees which is equal to 768 cells. If I remember correct the 0,0 cell is at N90, W180 (please check the SDK to be sure), so then it is easy to calculate the rest.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks for the links and files, but I couldn't find a utility in that package either that did what I was looking for. Most of them seem content to provide info within an LOD8 cell for VTP's, landclass, and other goodies. Nonetheless, I have taken to my own coordinate system. :) I've labeled up my own grid and I am using it for my file naming, so the "official" LOD8 cell names won't be necessary anymore. I could do the math for the real numbers, but I'll take the lazy route and number them myself.Thanks to all for your help and contributions.-Greg Germ