Sign in to follow this  
arno

ARNO - how to delete a texture in gmax!

Guest christian

Hi Arno,I took the time over Easter to play with gmax. A while ago, you asked how to get rid of a texture again once you assigned it to a material. I told you to double click the texture in the material browser, so the main material window comes up and you can delete it there. However, the problem was that 'delete' was grayed out. I don't know if this is a bug or what since most things are grayed out, eg you can't rename the texture name either.Here is how to solve it. Instead of double clicking the texture, select (double click) the material instead. (Or double click the texture and go one level up so you have the material selected). The click on the bitmap box next to 'diffuse' or which ever texture you want to have. This again takes you back to the texture. However, now 'delete' isn't grayed out anymore and you can happily delete the texture, or rename it or whatever.I really don't know why things are grayed out when you select the texture directly from the material browser, doesn't make sense to me, but all it takes is just one click more to get there :)Cheers, Christian

Hi Christian,Sorry doesn't work. When I press delete on my texture the entire material is gone afterwards, and I only want to remove the specular bitmap, not the diffuse one.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest christian

Hi Arno,Just to make sure:When you select the specular texture after choosing the material, can you rename the specular texture (only the texture not the material)? And if yes and you click 'delete', does the whole material vanish? odd. Have to try that...Christian

Hi Christian,What do you mean with rename? I can select another texture (with a new name of course), is that what you mean?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest christian

No. When you add a texture by default it gets a name. But you can give it its own name (rename it), just like with materials. For example, I usually name my diffuse textures as 'daymap' and ambient textures as 'nightmap'. If you are in the window (selected texture) where you can do that, you should be able to also delete just the texture. Christian

OK, I found the rename (the default name was BitmapTexture and I can indeed change it there). But when I press the delete button there, my entire material is still gone and not only the texture.

Arno

Guest christian

Finally, I'm on my home system where I have gmax installed!You are right! The whole material gets deleted. That is silly. I'm convinced that I solved that problem a while ago, but I really can't remember now how I did it. I was convinced that that trick would do it, but again my memory was wrong. Sorry, can't help any further, unless one day I remember how I did it...Cheers, Christian

Guest Firestriker

When you want to delete a texture, go thru the same steps to assign a texture except select NONE in the Material Navigator.

Thanks, finally I got it working :).The trick was indeed to click the new option in the material navigator. There is a none material which I could drag and drop to the material editor and that way I could remove my specular map.

Arno