Sign in to follow this  
Guest christian

gmax problem...

Guest christian

I got stuck with gmax over the weekend. Luckily, I decided that what I wanted to try didn't give me what I wanted anyway, so it didn't matter in the end, but I still would be interested in a solution...I made a building and in the front the door was set back by half a metre or so (so there is a small doorway). So I wanted to adjust the geometry. What I did is use a few cut commands and inserted a few vertices and placed the vertices where I wanted them. Then I put a texture onto the thing and put a uvw unwrap modifier on top. The problem I had was that my polygons were glued together. I needed to select the sides individually, but instead the door, and the two 'walls' to the top and the right were glued to each other. So, how could I have split those sides up into three?To finish I have two comments:1) Of course, the way I have done it was a bit stupid (just shows my rusted modelling skills). I should have cut the doorway out and then used a negative bevel instead of manually placing those vertices. Probably that would have done the trick. Still, I'd like to know how to split sides just out of interest.2) The doorway looked a bit silly due to the lighting. Of course, there is no self shadowing lighting in FS2002 (that would be a bit much to ask for), so the side of the doorway facing the sun is always lit. This looks strange because naturally the side would have shadows cast onto it, since it goes inside the building. I decided against that look, although not having a doorway also looks strange, because the bottom of the door joins the front wall, although shadows in the texture suggest that it is in a doorway. I guess it's not possible to get it to look right unless we would have self shadowing lighting...Cheers, Christian

Hi Christian, many ways to skin a cat. The easiest way I can think of is to create the initial box with segments in the width and height, 3 segments in width, and two in height. Then place the edit mesh modifier on the stack. Go to vertice in the edit mesh subobject menu, and reposition the verticle vertices internal to the object to be your door, likewise the middle horizontal row to be at the top of your door. Then go into polygon sub object mode, and do a negative extrude of the door polygon.for texturing the faces individually, place a uv map modifier on the stack. Then place a uvunwrap modifier. Assign your material. Then expand the uvunwrap modifier, and choose "select face". Select one of your faces and click on Planar map. Then Edit. You'll be able to position the points on your texture. Repeat as desired.Bob Bernstein

Yes, once you move vertices around, your original mapping gets a big skewed. Pressing the Planar Map button realigns the currently selected face to a single plane, allowing accurate mapping. It effectively 'cuts' the face out of the mess that you get after all those vertix shifts, and normalises it.You can probably tell I've been reading the GMAX Bible :)

1) Can you not use the faces mode and then select just the parts of your door. I think you should be able to texture only your door then...2) If the doorway effect is already in the texture I think it is not always necesairy to model it also 3D, but that is just personal taste :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest christian

Thanks,As far as I remember even pressing planar map didn't help (can't check since I reversed to an earlier stage without door frame, but that was one of the first things I tried). The problem seems to be that I created a more complex 'mesh', but instead I want to split it into 3 rectangles. It must have to do with the way I inserted the vertices (using bevel would have been much smarter, I know).Oddly enough, I would actually have 2 boxes in the uvw-unwrap window thingy and I could set uvw coordinates for the door and the right side (yes I had two faces, although the rest was disabled). I was missing the top though. The 3 sides were definitely linked together, selecting them as faces would always select them together, gmax even said it would be a multiple selection for some reason. They certainly weren't grouped together or anything by me, gmax did it all by itself (again, I suspect because of the way I cut the door way out).Cheers, Christian

Guest christian

>1) Can you not use the faces mode and then select just the>parts of your door. I think you should be able to texture only>your door then...No! That's essentially my problem. It always selects multiple faces. How do I split them?>2) If the doorway effect is already in the texture I think it>is not always necesairy to model it also 3D, but that is just>personal taste :).As I wrote, I decided against 3D afterwards anyway, because of the 'funny' lighting issues. On the otherhand now the bottom of the door joins the front walls which also looks silly. No perfect solution...Christian