Sign in to follow this  
arno

Ground TEXTURES (VTP vs. classic Poly)

Hello,I am rather new with SCdesign.. my troubles are following..:unable to make one big API that would load many textures on different positions (like a chess board).. I need it for my GND sector.. When I do get my hands on some API that does that, I encounter problems like: individual fields disappearing, whole API disapperaing (but only when A/C turned to a certain direction)I got to know that all this may be solved using new tech VTP ground texture polygons and commands.. As I hear problem is in max resolution available..CAN SOMEOME HELP ME PLEEEEEASE !!! I need either a program, APImaker, something which will anable me to stick my (already done and waiting) textures (13+12+6 DXT1s) to the ground....Help!

The fact that your macro dissapears at certain angles indicates that you have set the v2 value too small. Try to increase it a bit in the program you used to place the macro.VTP polygons are also nice, but you indeed have to use the 4.8 meter per pixel resolution. For most ground sceneries this will be fine, but if you want a better resolution you must use another method.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Uf...thx for that.. I have another problem with that V2.. cannot seam to get it above 680.. for some reason my APT maker refuses to read default valuest form API itself.. (but I'll manage to do it somehow)about VTPs...: do you think it will be posible to make them in future, perhaps at higher res? My current scenery is 0.5 mtrs a pixel and I fid it to be too low. The next one will be 0.15 mtrs a pix and with method that I use, there is no significat loss in framerate..How do we make FS2006 compatible ground textures at satisfactory resolutions?Damir

>thx for that.. I have another problem with that V2.. cannot>seam to get it above 680.. for some reason my APT maker>refuses to read default valuest form API itself.. (but I'll>manage to do it somehow)You can always hard code it into the API, then it doesn't matter anymore what you enter in the design tool.>about VTPs...: do you think it will be posible to make them in>future, perhaps at higher res? My current scenery is 0.5 mtrs>a pixel and I fid it to be too low. The next one will be 0.15>mtrs a pix and with method that I use, there is no significat>loss in framerate..At this moment there doesn't seem to be a way to get the terrain textures at a higher resolution then 4.8 meters per pixel.The resolution you use will also only be usefull for small areas, because otherwise you will get an big load of textures with the scenery. I think for such high resolutions (and thus smaller areas) working with an API or a piece of SCASM code is the best solution.>How do we make FS2006 compatible ground textures at>satisfactory resolutions?Well, of course Fs2004 or Fs2006 are not yet here now, so we don't know how the ground textures will be used then, but at the moment it is not possible to use the mesh methods with a high resolution.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Thanks again, ;)>>Well, of course Fs2004 or Fs2006 are not yet here now, so we>don't know how the ground textures will be used then, but at>the moment it is not possible to use the mesh methods with a>high resolution.I know for a fact (or at least I think I do) that in FS2006 classic poly (that how I call them, I beleave it has something do do with transfering from pounts textpoly to floating point.. bla bla bla) will no longer be supported.. I have alse read somewhere that FS2006 will be release in late 2004 (cannot see why, but ok)anyway.. I fear for my next co-project. I am signed up to do 2D (ground textures) and quite frankly, I do not know what to do... I'll just wait to see if sime tool pops out.. ;)

I have also heard some of those rumours, but these are always talking about the old SCASM commands, I guess the new floating point commands that where introduced in Fs2002 will continue working in those version. But until then we'll never know :).

Arno