Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorchi

Please help me with FSDS2 lights =(

OK, I'm no guru, but I think I might be able to help. To start with, this topic has come up before, so you might want to search the forum to see if there is more (better) advice than I am giving you now.FSDS2 handles light a little differently than v1.6 did. It's pretty easy. The big thing is that you adjust the colour of the light in the material editor. There are two sections of the material editor that matter: - diffuse colour... the colour of the object - not real important, probably. - emissive colour... the colour of the object when it is giving off light.So, if you want a blue light, set the emissive colour to blue. If you only want it to be shown at night, set the pre-process condition to "dark".Now, the actualy object is going to determine where the "light" is. If you make a sphere with a centre of 0,0,0, then the "light" will come from the centrre of the sphere. If you have a line of six spheres, and you merge them into one part, then FSDS2 will treat it as such, and you will only have one "light" rather than six - get it? If you want six lights then you have to keep them as seperate parts. Well, now that I think about it, it shouldn't be this way... but it seems that it worked this way when I tried making my light poles. Try it my way, I'm sure it works.But wait, there's more...You can make a 3 sided polygon and name it "light_land" and it will shine like a real light... almost. You will see a light beam on the ground, but it won't reflect off of objects. This might be a better effect, depending on what you are trying to achieve. The light beam will shine in the direction of the Z axis, so you can aim it around, and stuff.Also, don't use the dots-from-cube method from v1.6, since this now looks crappy in the post FS98 world. Use these other methods.It helps to play around a lot too. If the light is too dim, or bright, make the sphere smaller/bigger/etc... Sometimes I'll make 6 different object with slightly different lighting effects just to see how different numbers affect the final result. - Martin

Guest gorchi

Guys,regarding blue light instead of red it is a bug in FSDS V2 prior to V2.11. Download update from Abacus' site and the light will appear in right color.The problem was in wrong chanell assignment of light. In FSDS You select let's say R=100, G=120, B=140, Alpha=255 and FSDS wrongly converted that to color R=120, G=140, B=255.Also, as Martin said, there is no need to convert sphere to light. Use 3 sided polygon instead and use one of the reserved part names:light.beacon, light.taxi, light.landing (and one more is there, but I can't remember). Also please be aware, that in version prior to 2.11 there was also a bug in direction of landing and taxi light beam. It should be in direction of Z axis of Polygon but it was not. So it You point the light directly to the ground, the direction angle was around 45 deg. This is also corrected in V2.11.Regarding those colors. If You use pointed light source, then diffuse color is the color of the light, other colors do not have any important meaning. If You have ordinary object, then diffuse color is color of object, ambient color is color of the object when the sunlight is not shining on it, emissive color is the color of the object (for example the disc on Wig-wag lights) especially visible at night while specular color should be like a color of shine if You look at metallic objects. I do not use it so I can't tell more about that.And one more thing about FSDS 1.x-FSDS 2.x difference. In Earlier version, You could put smo more lights that should appear as dots, let's say on celiling of hangar using one part, named Light.beacon and tagged as dots. In FSDS V2.x EVERY single light should be single part named Light.Beacon (okay plus .xxx). Quite unfortunate but sorry, this is the way it is :(.Anyway, FSDS is grat tool with which I enjoy working with and please, do download new update!Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net