Sign in to follow this  

Runway lights!

Hi all, Is there anything out there that one can download to improve the visibilty and distance at which runway lights show up? I was flying into O'Hare at 6:00AM, and noticed the TOTAL ABSENCE OF RUNWAY LIGHTS. Maybe I eliminated them somehow with all the enhancements I try from time to time. Please tell me how to be assured that I have the right files in my scenery folder for full runway lights and brightness. If it's a common problem, then, please let me know if there's an improvement available. Thanks, Stan

FS automatically turns off the lights at a certain time. Sounds like you got there just after the lights went out but before there was actually enough light to see. To my knowledge, there is no fix out there, but perhaps someone more knowledgable can tell you otherwise. The lesson: Fly either when it's really dark or wait until noon. -Rob

Guest Scott Campbell

Doesn't do any good if there's no lights on.I cannot fly at dusk or dawn and pretty much can't taxi at night because of the extremely poor taziway lighting.This is a problem in 2K2, in that at dusk and dawn there's no lighting at all (runway, taziway, or city), and MS says they don't need a patch.

There's usually runway/taxi lighting in my FS2k2 in dusk/dawn...

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

Guest Scott Campbell

Unfortunately, not in mine. It's just dark. Lights don't come on until almost night and off just after the sun rises.

Thanks Firehawk,Many choices there. Excellent site. I chose #4 (assuming it's the brightest). It's pretty hard telling which is the best, but it's an improvement over default.I think the time the lights come on and go off should be able to be adjusted in some configuration folder, shouldn't it? Maybe someone knows where that toggle is? Stan

How good your lighting is during dusk/dawn depends entirely on whether you have multitexturing enabled. If you have it on there will be more lighting. It affects building lighting and aircraft lighting as well and is indispensable for aircraft and water reflections. Unfortunately multitexturing is the single biggest framerate hitter among the setting choices that I know of. Test it and see if it works better for you.Misha

Scott,Actually none of this is going to fix your issue. For s--t & giggles, turn off "Tri-linear" and choose "Bi-Linear". Now see if your lights are back on and brighter. Let me know.Mike

Guest Scott Campbell

Mike,I am using bi-linear, but I have tried all sorts of combinations. The simple fact is that the lights really aren't on. Nor do I have the city/buildings lights lit.

Ok, I had this same problem and I'm trying to remember what combination corrected it. You by chance using a Leadtek GeForceII 256?I will try and see if I re-create the problem when I get home. In the meantime, seems like I found my solution to this problem on this very board many months ago. You might do various searches on this board referring to "runway" etc.Mike