Sign in to follow this  
arno

Scenery editing and modification

I have just downloaded a scenery package, and although beautiful to look at, it knocks my frames. I am mostly interested in doing IF and bad weather flying, so certain of the items in that scenery (i.e. complex buildings and textures) do not interest me all that much. I wondered if it would be possible to delete some of the non essential buildings etc on the peripherals of this scenery (typically buildings which are outside the actual airport area itself) If so, can anybody advise me on the steps necessary to achieve this, and the best software to do this with. Essentially I only want to delete buildings, nothing else, as I like the runway and taxyway placements and appearance as well as the navaids which form part of this scenery package

Apologies.....The message was actually intended for this forum. but was inadvertandly posted in the mesh design forum, which is not really the place where it should go. I feel this fotum is a better one to address my question.As it is, the answer I got in the other forum is one way of achieving better frame rates using FS's options. But this is not really what I had in mind with the question.The scenery I am referring to has a myriad of non essential stuff, like a super-detailed refuelling bay (probably having a poly count more than the rest of the scenery) In addition, the designer saw fit to populate the area outside the airport with buildings and structures, supposedly landmarks, all things I can do without)What I am keen to achieve is to import that particular scenery into some scenery design program, and get rid of what I consider non essential 'frame' eating things and then re-import the result into FS to see whether this addresses the frame rate issue.The airport itself is actually quite nice so I would like to retain the most essential buildings.What I am interested in is what is the procedure to achieve the intended result, and which software is most suitable to do it with.

Hi Sunstream.What you may be looking for is a way to exclude objects with an exclusion BGL. Much easier than trying to hack BGL code.There is a program called dpexc:http://ifsa.ipbeja.pt/uploads00/dec/dpexc.zipIt has simple instructions. You will be required to know how to slew ( 'y' ) and display Lat-long ( 'ALT-z' ).You can have many small exclusions in a single file. The end result will be a small BGL file, named as you desire.Create a folder called 'MyExcludes'. Inside this folder, create twin sub-folders: 'scenery' and 'texture'. Place the BGL you made in the 'scenery' folder. Move the 'MyExcludes' Project Folder, and all it's contents to a location on your hard drive where you'd like to store your exclude files.From within the sim, access the Scenery Library, and add 'MyExcludes' to the TOP of the Library list. Always keeping it on top will assure all folders underneath it may have objects excluded where you don't want them.dpexc will allow you to add exclusions to this BGL as an update. If you name your BGLS to reflect the scenery they are excluding, you won't get mixed up as to which BGL excludes objects in which scenery.This is about as easy as it gets for non-designers.Dick

I agree with Dick here, although it might not work that well on the airport itself, because you can then also get excluding the taxiways for example. For the objects around the airport it should work fine.Changing the BGL in another way is not a real option. You can not load it into any design program and then change things, therefore you need the source of the author. The only thing you can do is decompile the BGL and change the SCASM source manual, but this can be a lot of work, because you must find out which code is which object. So only recommended (or not even then) if you know a lot of SCASM.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog