Sign in to follow this  

Strange Effect on Textures (SeePic)

Hi guyshttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/10201.jpgJust curious about the diagonal lines on the walls of the hanger and the gables, in the texture they contain vertical lines, suspect this is what is causing the effect. It seems to deminish when viewing becomes more right angled.I have heard of a term ' bleed through ' might this be applicable hereIs there any solution, texture 1s 24Bit Dxt1 without alpha,512*512.Any thoughts appreciatedRegardsDave

Hi Dave,That's normal. I think it has something to do with the lower mipmap being used. Therefore you get effects like this. Here is a pic of some hangars that are made of corrugated iron and you see a similar effect there.http://home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/ehho_pv2.jpg

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

cheers Arno, I never like to relie on you, But I know you help if you canIts satisfying to know that it is normal, if not annoying!!!Still, I guess your not susposed to notice things like this making an app/landingThanks againDave

I don't know if you have the mipmapping on? I think that reduces the effect a lot.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Guest gorchi

Dave,I think it is called Moire effect and that is happening, because You have lines close togethe. try correcting those mip-maps You have.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest Tony_A

Try lowering the contrast between background and line colours in your bitmap and even put in random small breaks in the lines. Still gives the corrugated iron look but cuts down on the "strobing" effect as your point ov view changes. Tony

Hi GuysThanks for all your suggestions, my 'Mipmapping' was offI don't fully understand Mipmaps, which I assume are more to do with Dxt's textures than 8bitThats typical that my determination to get good detail, results in an adverse effect which is counteracting my efforts!!!In the screen shot below, it makes me wonder whether you get better results by applying a single colour, bar the rooflights.!!!http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/10933.jpgThanks for the helpI shall need to experiment more with this contrast theory between the vertical lines, but guessed these lines would have some part to playRegardsDave

Guest christian

Mipmaps are textures that incorporate smaller textures that will be shown at greater distances. there are 2 reasons why you should use mipmaps (and turn mipmapping on):- If a texture gets far away it ony renders to a few pixels. That can cause visual problems like the moire you saw, if the texture is very big. Other problems are dominant pixels showing at great distances, eg you get pixels 'jumping' around a lot. With mipmaps a smaller texture is used, which fixes that problem.- You save texture memory, since you really don't need highly detailed textures on buildings far away.Cheers, Christian

Hi ChristianThanks for your help, I had been confused about Mipmapping on or off, doesn't surprise meMipmapping 'on', does, as you suggest remove this effect and wow thats great!!!!However, why are there always down sides to things, in the screenshots below, as a result the text on the Fuel Tank is blurred. This may be why it was turned off, because of this effect on the Runway centreline, although this is not as obvious as it is on the text on the tank.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11049.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11050.jpgThe texture 'Total' is a Dxt1(no Alpha) using DXTBmpIs there anything I can do to resolve this If I had to choose between the two, the removal of the 'Moire' effect is greatso thanks to you allDave

Guest christian

Well, the blurriness comes from the fact that the mipmaps are autogenerated. Usually, that works fine, but in some cases (sharp borders like your red text on white), the auto-algorithmn doesn't work very well. You can either live with it, or create your own mipmaps and import those into imagetool. That way you have full control over the mipmap creation.Cheers, Christian

Hi CristianThanks for getting back to meHow possible is it to alter the bitmaps, esspecially if it is 'only' text Are there any guidence/tutorials on this or am I the onlt fussy FS Scenery designer out here or there!!!Appreciate any helpRegardsDave

A tutorial is not really needed on this.The only thing you must do is make all the mipmaps yourself, so you must resize your texture in your paint program. After that you can change the smaller image like you want.Then in ImageTool there is an option to important the mipmaps manual and then you select the smaller images you have made.

Arno

Hi ArnoThat sounds great, even I think I can handle that, I'll give it a go!!!The Mipmapping turned 'on' really helps with the possible 'Moire' effectPerfection is possible:-smile12 CheersDave

Guest christian

Yes, Arno is right. Just want to add that when you resize in Photoshop (and probably other programs) you can select the 'resample' option. Your choice will control the blurriness, so have a play with that.Christian

Hi ChristianThanks for your extra thoughts, in paintshop pro 7 the Resample methods seem to fair better than the Pixel/smart Resizing methodsBut in paintshop pro 7, I tend to prefer the demformation tool, which allows reshaping in real time, although proberly doesn't return such good results as resamplingI have been searching the archives, and it seems to me that their is alot of discussion regarding Mipmaps, regarding the frame rates they do actually deliver, offset against the the bluriness that comes with them.Read an excellent reply by gerrish, which as always was very informedabout mip's and Dxt'sQuite a few people seem to lean towards 1 mip level may be this would make my text 'Total' clearer, I'll give it a tryHope I have open a can of worms on mips:-ukliam Cheers:-beerchug Dave