Sign in to follow this  

V1 &V2 settings.....

Hi guysI know I should know this, but what are the standard settings for v1 and v2In the screenshot below the hangers are not visable at close range with v1/v2 set to v1=8000 v2=2889 (Large hanger/you can see Tower) and v1=32000 v2=2889 Area() distances are 5 to 35http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/10934.jpgThe Control tower (Brick building) has been coded retaining the FSDS1.6b Dba() Dbx() etc... commands which makes me wonder whether my dreaded 'Vector Nightmare' still haughts me.I am currently Using TexPoly( 32767 0 0 -16384 Xn Yn), not sure how to use the a/ai in the command. I'm sure that this is incorrect, but I want my buildings to be visable from all visable angles in in spot modeSurely if the vectors were responsible, not all the building would disappear, although the vectors are the same for all polygons of the buildingsIt almost as if the the :Nodisplay flag in the RefPoint() command is kicking inhope someone can stop me from going round in circles RegardsDave

Hi Dave,There is no real standard for v1 and v2 values.For the v1 it is just the distance you want your object to be visible at. I use values between 1000 and 5000 (meters) normally. Sometimes lower values for small objects that are only important when you are really close. And sometimes a bigger value for really important objects.Then for the v2, here it is simple. The v2 should be the radius of a circle that encircles your entire object. So for a typical hangar or so it should never be much more then 100. Most design programs (FSDS and GMax) calculate the optimal v2 value for you and then it is best to just use that.One other note, the parameter in the area command is not a distance but a percentage. I remember that Gerrish was doing some testing with that, I don't know if he has found something spectacular there :).About your vectors once again :). I think you are making life much to difficult for yourself. If you want to define the vector manual like you do now, just must be sure that the vector is perpendicular to your polygon. In that case it should be visible from any angle. If you object is more then a simple box it might become difficult to calculate them by hand all the time. Then the a/ai comes in. This just instructs SCASM to do the calculation for you. As every polygon has two sides you need to indicate which side you want to draw. ai means the side that is facing towards the RefPoint (usually the inside thus), while a is the side facing away from the RefPoint.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi ArnoThanks for your suggestions, I agree i'm hurting its that hard!! Is this correct for a/aiTexPoly( a 32 192 58 35 244 58 36 244 0 30 192 0 ); SW TowerSo do you think the hangers are failing to display because of the vectors, given a clue is that part of the hanger is visable(Tower) and is under the same refpoint() and the v= are large enoughI would value your opinionRegardsDavePs nice tutorial on Bleeds with Ground polysx(

Hi Dave,Yes, that code looks correct if you want the side facing away from the RefPoint to be drawn. Just play with it a bit and then you'll see how easy it works.Are the hangars and towers in one Area and in one RefPoint? Then if one of them is showing the other should do it as well. So if it doesn't it is probably something with your polygons (vectors) indeed.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Thanks ArnoAs you say, the two hangers have seperate Area/Refpoint, but the control tower belongs to a hanger with its own Area/Refpoint and I think this was a clueCheers, I have learn't so much over the last 6 months and still learning I'm pleased to say!!!RegardsDave

Guest gorchi

Dave,Your textures-night textures nightmare are comming from all that dbx-dba-dwx instructions used instead of LoadBitmap() instruction.I made a fire truck, which showed nicely in a scenery with only a couple of objects but when I put it to destination scenery, I could saw only wheels and one (normally not textured) box, which had textures on it. I tried many things, even I have made a textured box and when I changed all those instructions to LoadBitmap, then my fire truck appeared normally. I tried to do on some other objects in secenery, and the scenery got better...Well, now I am using FSDS V2.11 and these problems have gone :)Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi Goren, thats interestingI felt it was the opposite, when I have designed things in FSDS 1.6b which uses the Dba/DbxDwx commands, they display ok.Its when I substituted the 'Hex Commands' with LoadBitmap(), TexPoly(), and used the vectors FSDS created, that I ran into strange problems, mainly polygons not visable at all angles. Also the whole object briefly disappearing whilst panning, this I have only seen more recently. These problems have led me to be very untrusting, one minute I think I have understood and I have comfirmation of this in FS2002, and then add another object and things are 'grey' and uncertain/uncomfirmed again!!!!:-fume I have wondered whether there are instructions related to the vector data in the 'D'Hex commands as these commands were included for scenery designers/Scenery Program designersArno has tried to help me with vectors, as have others, and I find this aspect of design very frustrating, his suggestion of using 'a/ai' makes alot of sense, apart from, why manually calculate the vectors? Frame Rates, may be.....:-hmmm I hope I haven't misunderstood you, Goren. Its good to know I am not on my own, apart from the pioneers, you know who you are!!!Thanks for your thoughtsRegardsDave

Hi Dave,Doing the vectors manual of not has no influence on the frames. When you set it to automatic it is SCASM that has to calculate them and not FS.You are really having strange problems with your objects, if you want you can send me the API and I can have a look how it behaves on my PC then.

Arno

Hi ArnoThanks for your kind offer to check out my Scasm fileI will try changing my Vectors to a/ai and see what happens, failing this I may take you up on your offerLately all my posts seem to have 'strange behaviour' in them. Although my Pc is of good spec, I wondered whether I have defective memory, and whether this may be playing tricks. The Helicopter in the recent screen shots, vanishes at certain angles, almost like my hangers :-hmmm Athlon 1.4512Mb pc2100G4 nvidiawindows xp pro Directx9.1Watch this spaceRegardsDave