Sign in to follow this  
arno

Advanced gmax question

I have no problems in creating ground texture polygons for taxiways and parking positions with gmax but taxi lines with gmax is not possible. I have two questions. How can one incorporate 'airport for windows' or other scenery creating software to provide taxilines over the gmax ground textures? and over the 'airport for windows' created tarmac runway?The taxilines I have created with airport for windows dissapear under the gmax ground textures.Secondly, Could one create taxiway edge lighting with gmax (blue glowing lights)that will come on after dark?I would appreciate for your help.Letats

How can one incorporate 'airport for windows' or other scenerycreating software to provide taxilines over the gmax groundtextures? and over the 'airport for windows' created tarmacrunway?You can only display the taxilines over the runway is you use the new taximarking commands. These can be placed at layer 40 and then they display over the runway. This is not possible with the old road commands that are also often used to make taxilines.For the ground polygons made with GMax, you can only display a taxiline over them if you have tweaked the source first. By default GMax makes code for 3D objects and not for ground polygons and therefore they will display over any ground object (like your lines). See the tips on my website about how to change this (link is in the signature).Secondly, Could one create taxiway edge lighting with gmax(blue glowing lights)that will come on after dark?This has been discussed a lot before, here are some links to such topics. You'll find out which tweaks you need to make there.http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchhttp://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=search

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest luissa

>taxiline over them if you have tweaked the source first. By>default GMax makes code for 3D objects and not for ground>polygons and therefore they will display over any ground>object (like your lines). See the tips on my website about how>to change this (link is in the signature).Hi Arno,Therefore shadows will not show over "3D ground polygons". Am I correct?Regards,Luis

Yes, that is the same problem. With the 3D code no shadows will be displayed over a polygon as well.The trick I mentioned also solves that for ground polygons.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Thanks for the information on lines.My next question is again with gmax ground textures blending in with FS textures.Having used airport for windows for ground textures on gets straight edges which is artificial looking. One do not have much control over the way the textures are oriented. With gmax one could arrange the textures over the original FS2002 ground but how do one blend the gmax texture with the original FS ground so that the textures blend in?I have tried giving transparency to the gmax textures edges hoping that the original FS texture showes through , but everything becomes black.Letats

It's not really easy to make nice blends. I think the best thing you can do is add the transparancy to the edges of the texture (add an alpha channel to the texture).

Arno

another approach might be to paint some of the default texture onto your gmax texture at the edges.B

I have tried to do that but it is very difficult to join the gmax edge texture with the FS original ground texture, since I found it difficult to measure the ground dimensions. May be someone out there would have better idea?Letats.