Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Ground2K - Coastline Flat Areas Remain ?

The first screen shot shows the Golden Gate area of San Francisco with corrected coastline. Note the large errored flat areas at the base of the cliffs. This is a problem which I have not been able to solve. The same thing occurs when correcting rivers. The old river bed elevation remains. It seems that we can exclude the original coastline, plus fill the water with land, but cannot allow the underlying mesh to dominate in these areas.I have placed Ground2K excludes, with all the blue (available) options checked, plus land fills, over the areas in question. The next two pictures show the excludes atop a Terraserver background while the last shows them without the background. Land fills (F1) cover the same quadrants.While I could manually use Ground2K mesh editor to fix this it would take forever with a less than true natural contour. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent the original FS2002 flattened areas from overiding the terrain mesh.Dickhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12263.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12264.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/12265.jpg

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest hefy_jefy

Hi Dick,I was going to post a related question, about whether anybody had figured out how to adjust the mesh close to MS default airports. You say that you could use the re-mesh feature in Ground 2K in your case - have you tried? I have found that there are some areas where it seems that you can't change the mesh - I had thought is was only close to MS airports.Watsonville's default flatten makes life really difficult for drivers on Highway 1!!!Geoff

Hi all.This has been discussed in detail before.The default LWM BGLs destroy mesh. There is no way to "recover" the original mesh, without deleting the default LWM BGL that causes the flattening.You could try to rewrite the default BGL to change the flattening, but that is not a good path to follow, as that would cause problems with distributing your scenery. The only other options are to remesh with either LWM flattens ( Ground2K ), build topographic-looking LWM ground polys at elevation ( Ground2K, among others ), or use Area16N SCASM commands to raise the mesh.Steve Greenwood has made a program to help with remeshing using the SCASM code:http://www.fs-traveler.com/links.html( "My utilities to create flatten and exclude bgl files" )Both LWM flattening and SCASM flattening are affected by the LOD of the current mesh. It is more art than science, to remesh.Hopefully, this will not be a problem in FS2004.==================I haven't experimented with the SCASM TexRelief() command. I don't know if that builds an object ( which would require a texture ) or if it superceeds the mesh ( in which case it should not require a texture ). I suspect it actually builds an object, and would not be a good solution.:(Dick

Yes it is a general problem. As you say, some areas defy adjustment with Ground2K. I have found some that allow increases but not decreases in elevation.The use of progressive flattens would produce steps. Playing with code sounds less than exciting given the extent of the issue - airports, rivers, lakes, coastlines.It would be nice if someone could code a program to tell Ground2K to make slopes of various degrees, with perhaps some valeys inserted. Right now I have never been able to make reasonable looking mesh adjustments playing with individual elevation values. An adjustable agolrithim would be best.We have no idea if FS2004 has any changes in this, or other, "technical" areas. All I ever see of it are exterior pictures of airplanes.Ground2K is the most advanced scenery manipulation program available. I applaud Christian for it. I hope that he continues support/development.Dick KLBEDick

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest hefy_jefy

Yes, I certainly agree that Ground2K is a great application, I am getting into the routine now, currently touring around Nevada looking for isolated airstrips (thank you FSNav). Land, take a look around, usually there is nothing to see, and no apparent reason for an airstrip at all. Start USAPhotoMaps and find what is supposed to be there (thank you Doug Cox, http://jdmcox.com/)and make a background.Then Ground2K (Christian Fumey) to fix the surrounding area, get the highways, rivers and Land Class fixed, then Groundmaker (thank you Vincent Koch www.groundmaker.org - there's a new version on its way beta 5) for the actual runways 3D objects etc.Fly away leaving a thriving community...Might go back one day and see how they are getting on, what about a community simulator? The Sims for FSim...Anyway many thanks to all the wonderful freeware programmers without whom none of this would be possible..Geoff