Sign in to follow this  

Adding 10 meter data to fs2002...

I'm a newbie to scenery design, so bear with me.I found the 10 meter USGS dem file that I wanted. I translated this dem file into a binary file that fs2002 can use with a util. called read_dem.exe. I then created an inf file per the instructions in the scenery SDK, and used the resample.exe util. to create a bgl file. I viewed this bgl file on the bgl viewer that comes with the sdk. It looked great--rich with detail. However, when I place this bgl file in the scenery sub-directory of the addon scenery folder per the instructions in the sdk, I can see no change in the resolution of the landscape I'm trying to modify when I fly around it. In this case the landscape is Yosemite Valley, and a major feature in the valley is a monument of granite called "Half Dome". When I fly by half dome, it is the same featureless lump it was before I added the higher resolution elevation bgl file.I did this thing absolutely by the book, but I just can't seem to get the higher resolution to take. Any helpful comments are welcome. Also, if there are any utilities out there I can download to help automate the proccess, I'd love to hear about them.

Assuming you did everything else correctly, open fs2002.cfg and find the lineTERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX = 19Change this toTERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX = 21This will allow the the LOD=12 terrain to show up.Concerning automation, not off the top of my head. I do it pretty much the old fashioned way with the help of batch files.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Interesting. I wonder why the scenery SDK documentation doesn't cover this point? It seems kind of important.How did you find out about it? Was it through documentation or a tip from a third party or just trial and error?On the subject of bgl files, when I use the same procedure I outlined for 10 meter dems on 30 meter dems, all I get is some dinky 732 byte bgl file from an ASCII dem that is 350k. Any ideas on how to fix this would be welcome. Seems like resample.exe is more trouble than it's worth. Sometimes I get a dinky bgl like I've described. Sometimes I get a bgl that doesn't cover as much area as the original dem provides. It's driving me nuts. Maybe the problem is in resample.exe or in the utility I use to convert dems to binary(read_dem.exe). I just don't know. Do you know if there is an alternative to resample.exe? Something more reliable, hopefully?

Thanks again for your suggestion. I'll give it a shot and let you know.

No, I think we all use resample. It's the only thing available that I know of.Found out about the terrain_max_vertex by trial and error. I think a couple of us stumbled upon it at about the same time--serendipity. It's not documented in the SDK.As well, not documented overtly, but implied, is that your Destination boundaries must be identical to the LOD grid boundaries. Any quadrant not completely covered will display only the default resolution.Do an advanced search of these forums for "LOD quadrant" and you'll find some good info on this from a year or so ago.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

I did a search, but I haven't really found anything yet that applies to me. Can you elaborate a little on the LOD grid boundaries? How to find them etc. I get the feeling this is the source of my probs.Thanks for your help. I'm finally getting some leads on how to do this thing right.

I use the boundries that come with the header file I create using read_dem.exe.