Sign in to follow this  

Problem to add autogen in photos-textures

Hi to everyoneI have created textures from high-resolution photo of Corfu town_Greece through Ground2k...My question is, how could I make them to have autogen effect on...My textures are on DXT1 format, is that a correct format for autogen files to work?..Do I have to add something in the terraintexture cfg. file of Fs2002?..

Thank you Bob......but I already have the autogen SDK...The problem is that I can not see any result of the effect the tool is offering, in the FS2002:-(Any other idea?...

used correctly, *.agn files will be added to your texture directory. When you use Autogen annotator, can you open your texture? Can you add vegetation boxes? Are you saving?Look at explorer at your texture directory....do you have *.agn files? Are they at 0 byte count?Bob B

Good morning Bob...As an answer to your help I would like to say that I can open my textures in the Autogen annotator, I have the *.ang files added to my texture directory with a 1 byte count and of course I can add vegetation or building boxes... I 'm a lit bit disappointed :-(... Have you any other idea of what could be wrong?..

Kali mera Sakis,The Autogen SDK allows you to annotate custom ground textures created using the Microsoft Resample program - these textures replace the default ground textures.From what I understand, you have used Ground2K to draw some VTP polygons using images of Corfu. If this is so, then you can only add autogen depending on which VTP method is used.Dick Ludowise (Rhumbaflappy) has often indicated the procedure to follow in this situation.Perhaps you could provide more information on what exactly you have done?Best regards.Luis

Well done with greek language Luis...So, as you have already noticed I used Ground2k for the whole process croping a high-resolution satelite image of 5880x8527 pixels into 1024x1024 pixels through Martin's Wright BmpCrop program and drawing some 40 VTP1/Polygons... The result is very impressive, but I would like to have some more complexity on my upcoming scenery...If you know the way or the link for Dick's Ludowise (Rhumbaflappy) tutorial(?), I would be very pleased to know it...Best regards from Corfu_Greece!!!..:-beerchug

well go figure....I didn't know you'd used ground2k. I don't think autogen works. I thought you'd used the terrain sdk to make replacement terrain textures.Bob B

sakisAutogen *does* work with custom terrain textures (aka photographic scenery textures). FS2002 looks for a .agn file with the same name as a custom terrain texture bitmap file in the same folder. If it finds this, it will add the autogen from the .agn file to the scenery. That's al that's needed, no mods to any configuration files, etc.Taking an example from the default FS2002 scenery for Heathrow (assuming you have it installed):Look in SCENEDBCitiesheathrowTexture and you will see a set of bitmap files and a set of matching AGN files. As a specific example, 010331331231112fa.bmp has a matching AGN file named 010331331231112fa.agn. When FS2002 displays the textures in 010331331231112fa.bmp, it will also place the autogen annotations in 010331331231112fa.agn in the scenery.Apart from silly things like not having Autogen enabled in Display Properties (set it to max to be on the safe side), that's all there is to it. Having created your AGN files, you just need to make sure they are in the texture folder with the bitmaps, and that they match the filenames of the textures they're intended for.If you're still having problems, please let us know.JohnVisual Flight - Creator of VFR Photographic Scenery for England & Waleshttp://www.visualflight.co.uk

If you placed your custum textures with VTP polygons autogen only works if you put the textures and the agn files in the main texture folder of FS, not in any other folder. And of course the naming convention of the custom textures must be used.If you place a own made texture with VTP in any other way there will be no autogen at all.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Arno...So you mean that when I apply textures in my VTP1/Polys throuth Ground2k I have to recall them from the Fs2002-Textures folder and not from my scenery's texture one?..

Yes, if you are using CUSTOM photoreal textures (the ones with all the numbers in their name) and if you place them with VTP, then you only have autogen if they are placed in the scenedb/world/texture folder.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hello again...Unfortunatelly, there is no way to have autogen using Ground2k, so I tryed to compile my large photo (5820x8527 pixels-143Mb) through the resample.exe... I wrote an *.inf file following step by step the Microsoft's insructions, but the result was only a *.bgl file without the expected *.bmp files...:-( I 'm sending my *.inf file... If anybody knows where the problem is, please let me know... I think has something to do with the "CellXdimensionDeg" and "CellYdimensionDeg", which I 'm not so sure that I 've counted correctly!!!.....once more Sakis...:-)[Destination] DestDir = "C:fssdkCustomTerrainTexturesSDKTerrain_ToolsKerkira" DestBaseFileName = "Kerkira_town" BuildSeasons = 1 UseSourceDimensions = 0 NorthLat = 39.6474362 SouthLat = 39.5696723 EastLon = 19.9383337 WestLon = 19.8615996[source] Type = Custom SourceDir = "C:fssdkCustomTerrainTexturesSDKTerrain_ToolsKerkira" SourceFile = "Kerkira.bmp" Lat = 39.6474362 Lon = 19.8615996 NumOfCellsPerLine = 5880 NumOfLines = 8527 CellXdimensionDeg = 3.9859693877551020408163265306122e-005 CellYdimensionDeg = 2.0614665181189163832531957312068e-005

Hello Sakis,I have not done it, so there is no guarantee that this works, but here is what I remember about how to get autogen in Ground2K:1. Autogen only works with VTP2 - too bad, because this means that you must draw the polygon instead of filling the Area with your image (using the Area Properties icon). Declare each texture in its Area using VTP2.2. Each ground texture must use the custom name for that Area that Ground2K indicates (i.e., 003120200313322Su.bmp)3. Convert the textures to DXT format (but keep the original textures - you will need them later)4. Add the autogen to each texture using Autogen Annotator5. Ground textures must be flipped vertically - a bug (?) in the terrain engine, it seems. So, take your original textures, flip them vertically and convert to DXT.6. Take these textures and the autogen files and place in the scenedb/world/texture folder7. See if it works.As I say, I have not succeeded in doing this - in fact, I corrupted my copy of Ground2K while trying. But, maybe it will work for you.As for your inf file, sorry, I have not checked it.A warm hello to beautiful K

SakisI don't know which version of resample.exe you're using (FS2000 or FS2002), but one uses EastLon and WestLon whereas the other uses EastLong and WestLong. If you've used the wrong one, the parameter won't get recognised at all. Best solution is to use both: the additional unrecognised version will simply be ignored.(I haven't checked the rest of your inf file in any detail by the way).JohnVisual Flighthttp://www.visualflight.co.uk