Sign in to follow this  
Guest rbrown3rd

No Joy Water Exclude Ground2K

Guest rbrown3rd

I started on what I thought would be a relatively simple task, to add a detailed shoreline to an existing lake. I grabbed Ground2K and waded in, no pun intended. Registering the source map and digitizing the new shoreline and water poly was pretty straightforward but I ran into a wall trying to exclude the old existing lake poly and shoreline. I have tried every combination of exclude in G2K with no luck. An image of what I am trying to do is below: http://www.bbbrown.com/bbbrown/images/jpgs...terexcltest.jpg

You should be able to exclude the default shorelines (I can't remember the correct layer number now). And for the water I think the best thing you can do is covering it by a polygon that contains the same texture as the surrounding land.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest rbrown3rd

>You should be able to exclude the default shorelines (I can't>remember the correct layer number now). And for the water I>think the best thing you can do is covering it by a polygon>that contains the same texture as the surrounding land.Thanks Arno. That is the solution I was looking for. Cover the water with a land polygon. Why didn't I think of that? I appreciate it your help very much.

Hello Bob,Have you drawn a "Poly with shore"? In that case, have you chosen Land in the "LWM/Poly" section? And drawn your line making sure that land is on the right-hand side of the line?Your exclude does not seem to be working. You should exclude shorelines for each Area where you draw a new one. Perhaps you could indicate exactly how you are using excludes, and also tell us the name that you have given the exclude bgl? This may have some effect on your exclude problem.Best regards.Luis

Guest rbrown3rd

>Hello Bob,>>Have you drawn a "Poly with shore"? In that case, have you>chosen Land in the "LWM/Poly" section? And drawn your line>making sure that land is on the right-hand side of the line?>>Your exclude does not seem to be working. You should exclude>shorelines for each Area where you draw a new one. Perhaps you>could indicate exactly how you are using excludes, and also>tell us the name that you have given the exclude bgl? This may>have some effect on your exclude problem.>>Best regards.>>Luis>Luis. I have chosen poly with shore using 1063 lake / tan sand /perennial. I drew the line in a counter clockwise direction assuming that land is on the right-hand side of the line. I did not choose land in the LWM/Poly section but had water selected. My excludes are set to exclude water and shorelines. The exclude file is named wybooexcl.bgl . The area is known as Wyboo Creek and my bgls are named wyboo_3.blg, wyboo_5.bgl, and wyboo_9.bgl.

Hello Bob,Let's see if we can clear this up.1. You chose "Poly with shore" and selected your shoreline. This is fine. Make sure that you do NOT check "Join ends of line" (and this seems to be the case from your pictures) and DO check "Land on right hand side".2. In the LWM/Poly section, select "Land", not Water, since you want the right-hand side of your line (that is to say, the interior of the polygon that you are drawing) to be filled with land. You have done the opposite. You should only choose Water if you are drawing a lake or a river.3. Land on right-hand side means that you draw your line in a CLOCKWISE direction, not the contrary as you say you have done. This alone will give you the results that you have gotten.Once you understand these basic principles, you will see that Ground2K is very easy to use.As for the exclude problem, perhaps you could show a screenshot of both the Exclude properties windows (where you check what you want to exclude) and the Parameters Window of your new coast and shoreline. This would make it easier to figure out what is going on.Best regards.Luis

Guest rbrown3rd

Luis,>1. You chose "Poly with shore" and selected your shoreline.>This is fine. Make sure that you do NOT check "Join ends of>line" (and this seems to be the case from your pictures) and>DO check "Land on right hand side".>I did check "Join ends of line". I will try it again without checking that.>2. In the LWM/Poly section, select "Land", not Water, since>you want the right-hand side of your line (that is to say, the>interior of the polygon that you are drawing) to be filled>with land. You have done the opposite. You should only choose>Water if you are drawing a lake or a river.>Well, I am tryig to draw a lake. A new lake with accurate shoreline over the generalized one that is the default.>3. Land on right-hand side means that you draw your line in a>CLOCKWISE direction, not the contrary as you say you have>done. This alone will give you the results that you have>gotten.>Clockwise? Ok, but would that not put land inside the polygon where I am trying to put a lake? Are you saying to do a polygon with land inside it over the existing lake and then do one with the lake inside on top of that?>Once you understand these basic principles, you will see that>Ground2K is very easy to use.>>As for the exclude problem, perhaps you could show a>screenshot of both the Exclude properties windows (where you>check what you want to exclude) and the Parameters Window of>your new coast and shoreline. This would make it easier to>figure out what is going on.>I will do that when I get home from work.Sorry I am so slow at getting this but it is not clicking with me yet.

Hello,I'd like to add something to the confusion.... :)As far as I understand, Bob, you want to create a better lake at the place of an already existing one. Therefor you have to solve 3 tasks:a) cover the (whole) old lake with land:( exclude the old shorelinesc) create the new lake (with shorelines)a) I cover the old lake with land with the funktion "Cell attributes->Area attributes". I use "Fill1x1/LWM" and check "Land".This is usually enough for lakes, because the neighbouring Landclass values already cover the lake area.:( exclude is done via the "Exclude in areas" function. The only hurdle is not to exclude your own data. You can solve this, by giving your exclude-bgl a name like aa*.bgl. Now it is read first (alphabetic order) by the scenery engine. Or you could use different layers for your own lines.c) You already did it. Your assumption to use "Water" to create a LWM lake is correct in my opinion.Hope it helps,Edgar

Hello Bob,Oops! Sorry, I though you were trying to draw a new coast, not a new lake. My mistake.Please follow Edgar's very good advice that should solve all your problems.And please let us know how it turned out.Best regards.Luis

Guest rbrown3rd

>Hello,>>I'd like to add something to the confusion.... :)>>As far as I understand, Bob, you want to create a better lake>at the place of an already existing one. Therefor you have to>solve 3 tasks:>a) cover the (whole) old lake with land>:( exclude the old shorelines>c) create the new lake (with shorelines)>>a) I cover the old lake with land with the funktion "Cell>attributes->Area attributes". I use "Fill1x1/LWM" and check>"Land".>This is usually enough for lakes, because the neighbouring>Landclass values already cover the lake area.>:( exclude is done via the "Exclude in areas" function. The>only hurdle is not to exclude your own data. You can solve>this, by giving your exclude-bgl a name like aa*.bgl. Now it>is read first (alphabetic order) by the scenery engine. Or you>could use different layers for your own lines.>c) You already did it. Your assumption to use "Water" to>create a LWM lake is correct in my opinion.>>Hope it helps,>EdgarThank you Edgar. With your advice and others and after taking a break from my frustrated efforts I will return to the task and try again. Thanks very much for yours and everyone elses help and guidance. I am not ready to throw in the towel just yet.

Guest rbrown3rd

Thanks Luis. I will let everyone know when I finish the task. Yes, there is an existing very large lake that has one branch or estuary many miles long that I want to correct. So, I am treating that arm of the lake as a new one. Edgar has given me some new directions to try. If I can "cover up" the existing water successfully then I know I am on the right track. I think since it is an arm of a larger lake I will have to put in the water without shoreline and then add the shoreline as a separate entitly to avoid it "crossing" the mouth of the branch when it is closed.

Hello Robert,you might try to create a "Poly with shore" object anyway, but deselect "Join end of lines". This would give you a half open shoreline (no connection between the start and end point).This might be useful for an open arm...Regards,Edgar

Guest rbrown3rd

Good idea. Did not think of that Edgar. Just let me be able to cover up the existing water with land and I will feel that I have made a major accomplishment. I have tried everything and that is the most persistent texture I have ever seen. Just get me through that and I will feel I have made progress.