Sign in to follow this  
Guest rbrown3rd

Ground2K modification of existing lake

Guest rbrown3rd

This is a new topic on the same subject. The other thread was getting really long. I am attempting to modify an arm of an existing lake using Ground2K. I have been able to create a new LWM land polygon. I gave it a ridiculously high elevation just to see if it worked and it did. My problem continues to be excluding the existing water in the branch of the lake so I can paint on a new water polygon. You can see the raised land poly below. Normally it would be the same elevation as the surrounding land.http://www.bbbrown.com/bbbrown/images/jpgs...sedlandpoly.jpgYou can also see that the existing lake water is still there. Here is my exclude file for the entire area.http://www.bbbrown.com/bbbrown/images/jpgs...ous/exclude.jpgI would appreciate any help in getting the exclude for the existing water to work. Ground2K at this point has created two bgls. One for the land poly and one for the exclude. They are named:wyboo_rev2_3.bgl for the land polyaawyboo_rev2.bgl for the exclude

Hello Robert,I think, I was not exact in my description.The first step in covering a lake, is to overwrite the existing Land-Water-Mask (LWM). This is basically the description, where a lake (water) is cut into land definition. You have to close that hole.I usually use in Ground2k the Button "Cell attributes", then "Area attributes", you'll get a Window called "Area creation/modification". There I select "Fill1x1/LWM" etc. This should fill the lake (it fills a whole area with land or water).I believe you created a VTP2 polygon, a LWM polygon has no texture attributes. (However, there is no wyboo_rev2_5.bgl?? Strange!)A VTP polygon can change the altitude and the texture, but leaves the Land-Water-Mask untouched. The old lake cuts through the VTP polygon.An LWM polygon can change the altitude and changes the LW-mask, but leaves the landclass textures untouched.- With the Exclude-bgl you only change VTP data (polygons and lines), but no LWM data. You need it here to exclude the old shorelines.- You can change the name of the exclude bgl afterwards.Hope it helps,Edgar

Guest rbrown3rd

>Hello Robert,>>I think, I was not exact in my description.>The first step in covering a lake, is to overwrite the>existing Land-Water-Mask (LWM). This is basically the>description, where a lake (water) is cut into land definition.>You have to close that hole.>>I usually use in Ground2k the Button "Cell attributes", then>"Area attributes", you'll get a Window called "Area>creation/modification". There I select "Fill1x1/LWM" etc. This>should fill the lake (it fills a whole area with land or>water).>>I believe you created a VTP2 polygon, a LWM polygon has no>texture attributes. (However, there is no wyboo_rev2_5.bgl??>Strange!)>>A VTP polygon can change the altitude and the texture, but>leaves the Land-Water-Mask untouched. The old lake cuts>through the VTP polygon.>An LWM polygon can change the altitude and changes the>LW-mask, but leaves the landclass textures untouched.>>- With the Exclude-bgl you only change VTP data (polygons and>lines), but no LWM data. You need it here to exclude the old>shorelines.>- You can change the name of the exclude bgl afterwards.>>Hope it helps,>EdgarThank you Edgar. Yes, I needed the very specific instructions to help me. Now I have more to try. Closing the existing lake is my challenge. I can't wait to try your suggestion.

Guest rbrown3rd

So, I remove my polygon first? Create a new polygon and then use the Cell attribute, area atrtributes to get the Area Modification Window? Is this the window I am supposed to get? Sorry for my slowness on this but I think you are getting me close to the prize.http://www.bbbrown.com/bbbrown/images/jpgs...ous/areamod.jpg

Hello Bob,To add further to the confusion, as a wise man once said...Edgar's advice is very good. It should all work well.Just to resume for anyone else who has been following:Exclude - only exclude what you need to exclude. In this case, only "8.Shoreline" should be checked.Fill - a region of water often must be "filled" with land before land will show (or before water will disappear). Use the "Area Properties" icon (F1) and click in each corresponding Area, the Fill with Land.Lake - the easiest way to make a lake is drawing a "Poly without shore" OR a "Poly with shore" and making it a Water Mask (by selecting Water in the LWM/Poly section.) It is recommended that you do not try to close the polygon yourself as you could get an error from crossing the ends. Ground2K will always close polygons automatically so just bring the edges close without touching.Shoreline - be sure to draw your shorelines in a way that land is on the right-hand side of the line. This ensures that the shoreline is facing the right way and that any wave effects occur in water, not land!Boy, that sure cleared it up for me. Good luck, Bob, and let us know how it turns out.Best regards.Luis

Hello Bob,Absolutely do NOT remove your polygon as drawn. If it is correct, there is no point in doing it over again.The screen shot above is correct - just check land in the window for every Area where you are getting water that you don't want. This should work.Best regards.LuisYou are up early, aren't you?

Guest rbrown3rd

Hi Luis. Yes, I am up and working on this before going to work. I made progress that time. .........but no matter what I do I seem to get this. At least I am touching on the mask now. I am almost there. Here is what I get. The poly is not correct but you get the idea. I don't seem to be able to get it to change to all land. When I get that I am home free. Almost there, almost there.http://www.bbbrown.com/bbbrown/images/jpgs...laneous/lwm.jpg

Ay, ay, ay! Bob, you are probably suffering from one of the Development Team's little jokes.In many cases, lakes are not water at all, but ... land! Yes, this is right, there are a couple of land classes that are water, but it is land.This is probably what is creating your problem. If so, then the solution for you is to change the land class for those Areas to ... land. Just select the land class icon (LC), click on each Area where you have water, and select a land class that is land. This should fix that for sure.Since your polygon is a water mask, it will now be the only water there.Best regards.Luis

Guest rbrown3rd

Luis,I tried changing the landclass using the LC button to change water to land. It did not work. But, when I used Edgar's recommendation to add a polygon as an LWM polygon it did change the area but it changed it all to water. So, as I said in my previous reply that appeared to be progress and if I could get it to mask the area as all land then I will be ready to take the next step of putting in the new lake arm shoreline...........and I thought this would take just an hour or so. Ha ha ha. This is now the third day since I started this little project. Thanks for sticking with me on this Edgar and Luis and everyone else. I appreciate your support very much. Without it I would have given up in frustration two days ago.Bob

Guest rbrown3rd

>Hello Robert,>>I think, I was not exact in my description.>The first step in covering a lake, is to overwrite the>existing Land-Water-Mask (LWM). This is basically the>description, where a lake (water) is cut into land definition.>You have to close that hole.>>I usually use in Ground2k the Button "Cell attributes", then>"Area attributes", you'll get a Window called "Area>creation/modification". There I select "Fill1x1/LWM" etc. This>should fill the lake (it fills a whole area with land or>water).>>I believe you created a VTP2 polygon, a LWM polygon has no>texture attributes. (However, there is no wyboo_rev2_5.bgl??>Strange!)>>A VTP polygon can change the altitude and the texture, but>leaves the Land-Water-Mask untouched. The old lake cuts>through the VTP polygon.>An LWM polygon can change the altitude and changes the>LW-mask, but leaves the landclass textures untouched.>>- With the Exclude-bgl you only change VTP data (polygons and>lines), but no LWM data. You need it here to exclude the old>shorelines.>- You can change the name of the exclude bgl afterwards.>>Hope it helps,>EdgarI have tried every possible combination of the suggestions. I have used LWM and filled with water, filled with land, used poly, used LOD13, and have come to the conclusion that what I am trying to do is impossible. After four days of this I am ready to give up unless someone has a miraculous suggestion or is willing to take the area I am trying to work on and prove to me that it can be done. For now, I cannot invest anymore time in what seems to be an extremely frustrating and difficult task to simply update the default lake shoreline to a more accurate one.

Hello Bob,Sometimes, things just get more and more complicated when, in fact, they are really quite simple. Don't give up.Instead, please give me the approximate coordinates of your project and the place name (so that I can find an image of it somewhere) and I shall give it a try myself. Perhaps, it would be easier to understand the problem that way.Most terrain modification using Ground2K is extremely easy, but there are a few cases, such as these lakes that are land classes with a water value, that can be more difficult.Best regards.Luis

Guest rbrown3rd

Thank you Luis. I am going to package up my project as a zip file later today and send it to you and Edgar. If either or both of you can demonstrate that this is possible, which I am sure that you can do, then the challenge is to teach me exactly how you did it. Thanks to you and Edgar for hanging in with me as I work through this.The NW Corner is:33.606 N-80.3 WThe SE Corner is:33.4679N-80.0832I will have to post the location of the bmp base map later. But if you explore this site you will see a northerly branch of a lake called Wyboo Creek. That is the shoreline I am trying to update.Bob

Guest rbrown3rd

I finally figured out why my default water has been so "sticky" on this project. Try as I might I could not get the water to be masked so I could replace the shoreline with a more accurate one using Ground2K. Finally, Edgar offered to take a look at my G2K project files. I felt sheer frustration when he returned them to me saying that they worked fine on his machine and that he could do no more to help me. But, without realizing it he did help me with that reply because he suggested a couple of things to check one of which was to be sure the scenery was being installed in the addon scenery folder. Sure enough, I was installing it in the FS2002/scenery folder. As soon as I created the proper folders and added the scenery in as an addon the default water disappeared and the proper shoreline and water appeared. It seems that if you place the G2K scenery in the FS2002/scenery folder it will not take precedence over the default water designations of landclass. So, problem solved, I am a bit embarassed at having put everyone through a lot of work on my behalf but the good thing is that the folks like Luis and Edgar on this forum are so willing to help a newbie fumbling through the process of scenery design. Thank you all for supporting me as I blundered around. I sincerely appreciate the help and support from everyone. Thank you all.Bob