Sign in to follow this  
Guest gorchi

True Shape.... Vectors.... in Fs2002

Hi GuysI'm still plagued by Objects visable or not, which I suspect is vectors, even when I avoid them they make life hellI have been trying to create a pole for Ndb, but as usual, it vanishes from time to time, but when I enlarged the pole to try to see what was happening, I found the hexigon shape was not true as it was in FSDS The scale is enlarged in FsDS and exagerated, for experimentationI have copied the code from the *.sca file into my Library File and then call in from the library, so the vectors are totally those from FSDSPic's below to try and show representation in FS and FSDS http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/16244.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/16245.jpgThe single point in the hexigon seems to be causing the two faces to be unequal to the othersAnother question is that when I reduce the scale to the size I want I completely lose the shape of the eight sided pole, may be 4 or 5 if I'm lucky. Is this to do with the size Fs can display, once you go less than 1 Metre?This then poses the question, if the object is small, is 4 sides enough to create the effect of a pole/Tube and reduce the load on Frame ratesI tried to use 'a' in the Poly() command and got a Error on compiling " corrupted Polygon; check points/pointslist"Sorry that this question on vectors seems to never go a way!!!!RegardsDave

Guest gorchi

Hi Dave!What FSDS version do You use? 1.6 or 2.xx? In latter case, dao YOu use export for FS2002 or FS2000?Export for Fs2000 and export form FSDS V1.6 does not use real (floating point) numbers so coarsness of round shapes is dependent on scale You use. If You use scale 1.00 in FSDS, then round shape will be really coarse while if YOu use 0.05, they should be much finer.Having less points for round tubes will reduce polygons, yes but having only 4 points should be used for really thin objects. In this case it is worth thinking whether object made from lines wouldn't be better than using tube.Also try to use smooth polygon option in Part properties, this will give coarser round shape more smooth look in FS, but at cost on FPS if designed in FSDS 1.6.Your a or ai parameter in Poly() instruction should change not only the first number but I think first 4 numbers, then You won't get that error.Anyway the best option is to upgrade Your FSDS from 1.6 (if You still use it) to V2.xx for at least two reasons:1. You can use scale 0.1 or 1.00 and have really smooth round shapes2. Code optimized for FS2002 is noticeably smoother and FPS friendly than from version 1.63. FSDS 1.6 really likex those dba/dbx/dwx codes for many things, including loading bitmaps (instead fo simple LoadBitmap() instruction), which can make a really big mess in Your scenery includeing big FPS drops. Personally I have experienced a looot of troubles in a little more complex sceneries.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi GorenThanks for your reply, I had noted your reply today, in another post earlier, where you advised on using wire(never used wire before, in FSDS) this I created earlier before your post.I use FSDS V1.6b, and export to a Filename.sca file and cut&Paste the code I need to my Library file. More recently, I have spent time recoding my objects, as you suggest, replacing the (dba/dbx/dwx)commands, with Loadbitmap() and other commands but was unsure whether this made any difference.The scale I have been using is 0.1 in FSDS and 0.525 in my Refpoint() command, which is an odd figure I know, just used this to make the object bigger in FS2002, originally 0.125I have avoid using polyshading because of frame rates, and esppecially if the object is quite small, hoping the courseness wouldn't be noticedI had used 'a' to replace the first four no's, (xzy len) I think, Poly( a (point indexies) (ditto) ) however, there were 239 points and I had heard that Fs5 couldn't handle more than 100 vertices in a single polygon(80 in FS98) I may be getting confused here though!!!!I have even tried a 3 point tube and FS2002 does not display this at all correctly, displaying 1 polygon or 2 at the best. This I think must be vectors, but their FSDS one's so one assumes they should display the object, but I know this isn't science. This was my bigest shock when I first started 18mths ago.May be I will try avoiding the(dba/dbx/dwx)commands, but I wondered whether doing so affected the vectors FSDS calculated, making them incorrect, although their is 'a' available that I have used in the Texpoly() command sucessfully, following Arno's adviseIf you have any further thoughts following the above I would much appreciate them. In the meantime I will try to purchase the new version of FSDS, difficult to justify the further cost for my Freeware Scenery, but it is the only program I can use so this speaks volumes....Still think my biggest problem is Vectors here, I will use 'a' 'ai' where ever I can, just couldn't compile in this instanceBest RegardsDave

Guest gorchi

Hi Dave!Really, the cure for the problem You have with these round shapes lies in scale You enter in FSDS. Look at this scale as a resolution. If You have scale 0.1, then the two adjacent points can be close as much as 10cm. If You have scale 0.05, then two adjacent points can be close as 5 cm. Sometimes, for really thin tubes, scale 0.01 would be even better.But as I said, If You use FSDS 2.x, then points in SCA file ar in floating point values, so You can keep scale at 1.00 and the circle will be really circle (precision is in 6 decimals).But I do not understand Your problem with a and ai instructions in Poly/TexPoly instructions. If You wish to revert the surface normale, then press button f (=flip) in polygon mode in FSDS and that's it! No need to change those instructions in exported file. In FSDS 1.6 You can also make two sided polygons with just a click on a check box if YOu need (unfortunately in FSDS 2.x You must manually create another polygon and sometimes revert normale).I would also advise You, that You export Your macros as API's in test phase, then when You are satisfied, export them as SCA's and put them into library. This is the way I work and I have a special nonexistant airfield for testing my objects.And just one more tip. I do not know, which version of FSDS 2.xx is currently available for download, but please do update it to version 2.11 as it fixes some nasty bugs. I heard also that version 2.13 is comming...If You need any special assistance, You can also contact me via e-mail.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi goren Thanks for the replyI 'll try reducing the scale, I can see how it would help. you can't ask an object to be a certain size if you are below the theshold.I am trying to get Scasm to automatically work out the vectors because at certain angles the polygon is not visable, which I believe is more likely to be the vectors. As you mentioned I need to compile my work in a special bgl rather than my Library.bgl Even a Triangular section will only display 1 or 2 sides, but this could just need the finer resolution you refer to.Many thanks again for your assistanceWatch this spaceRegardsDavePs I will work on the upgrade

Hi gorenA scale of 0.01 has produced the kind of results I would like, with a scale of 1 in the Library.bgl and 0.01 in the RefPoint()So much to learn and understand even after 18mths, all for one airfield, or more may be....How some people make money out of scenery design, god knows....Obviously those vectors have let me off this timeMany thanks againRegards Dave

Guest gorchi

Dave,no problem.. I have started with simple objects at first, but now I am producing more and more complex objects and in 2 years I have learned FSDS quite well... So if You need any further assistance, You know how to reach me :) And I am glad that I can help to anyone.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest luissa

>>But as I said, If You use FSDS 2.x, then points in SCA file ar>in floating point values, so You can keep scale at 1.00 and>the circle will be really circle (precision is in 6>decimals).Hi GoranThat is OK unless you press "Snap to Scale"! I use this quite a lot to delete superflous (spelling?) points in objects!Regards, Luis

Guest gorchi

Hi Luis!I work for so many time with FSDS but I haven't noticed this feature... Maybe we should open somewhere a forum about features not usually known, FSDS has a lot of them and are quite usefull :)Anyway, thanks for the tip, it could save me some time on some objects.Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net