Sign in to follow this  
arno

Maximum radius of Area command

Hi all,Time for a nice SCASM discussion again :).I have a problem with the maximum radius of the Area command. For my next version of EHAM I am working on the base scenery now. That contains one Area command and inside that different RefPoints (one for each ground polygon).The total area covered by the airport is around a circle with a radius of 7 km. For the polygons at the edge of this circle I have problems that they dissapear. I have changed the coordinates in the Area command, so that they are closer to that point of the scenery and then there is no problem. But then I have a similar problem at the other end of the airport :).Of course I could split the airport in several Area commands (and I'll do that if no solution comes out of this discussion), but I am just wondering. Is that 7 km radius the maximum distance you can place a RefPoint from the coordiantes you enter in your Area commmand?Does anybody has some nice thoughts on this?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest gorchi

Hi Arno!Why do You have limited area to be big enough just to fit You airport in it? It seems that ground polygons (taxiways, aprons and so) do not burn so much FPS than objects. Maybe it is worth thinking of havin buildings of two types, one for real close looking and one for lower LOD. I also make some thing dissapear when the aircraft is not close enough like fences, lines and so on... Also taxi lights cost FPS a lot tooo...And yet another point is also regarding LandClass.. Do You have so small area also for LC? In my big airports I usually have two BGLs, one just for ground, thats for apron, taxiways, taxisigns, edgle lights... and another, much smaller for objects only. Objects that I make with FSDS are made with scale 1.00 which makes V2 value quite narrow and this also helps preserving LC too. In some cases, You can see my object and LC object together, without dummy rotated calls :) Maybe this will also help You?Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest luissa

Hi Arno,It was discussed here, by you and others, the operation of several V2=s inside one Area. I wonder if what you describe is related to that discussion.Regards (and sorry for the absence of suggestions)Luis

Hi Luis,No this is something else.In that discussion about the v2 value we found that for LayerCalled polygons there was no negative effect of multiple RefPoints. I have checked this again by increasing the v2 valie, but it makes no difference.When I move the coordinates of the Area command more to the polygons I can solve the problem. So this makes me think that there is a maximum size of the Area block.I tried to increase the range parameter of the Area command as well, but it seems to have no influence.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Hi Goran,I do have separate files for ground polygons and buildings etc. This files only contains the asphalt and concrete polygons and because with the new runway EHAM is that big (geographical size), I now get these problems.So this has nothing to do with the framerate or LOD models, but it seems to be a limit in FS. Also it is not a problem with dissapearing LandClass or so, the polygons themself just go away.

Arno

Guest luissa

Arno,Writing from memory, I thought that the conclusion from that discussion has been that FS only responds to one of the V2=s found on an Area(). But I really do not remember. Please do not try Area( E ... ) as I did once. It would mean trouble because of serious side effects.Regards, Luis

Hi Luis,I check the discussion about the v2 and we then found that the effect you describe now happens for a PerspectiveCall, but for a LayerCall it does not happen. There all the v2 checks are done correct.I am using area type C at the moment, as I thought that one has the least limitations. I guess it would be easier for myself if I split the scenery into 4 different area block or so, because their size would be smaller then.

Arno

Guest GerrishGray

Hi ArnoAs I understand it, all the 'range' (or 'image power') in the Area command does is determine the distance at which the Area block becomes 'active' in the scenery database, and becomes inactive again as one moves away. If the Area is inactive, FS will not even check for visibility of any object in the Area. The range should always be considerably larger than the required max visibility of the enclosed object(s).As you are talking about visibility problems at a 7km range and your Area range is presumably at least 20 (?), I doubt whether it is the Area parameter that is causing the problem (although you could try increasing it to 100 just to be sure, and it might be worth trying a type 5 Area instead of C if the compiled code size is <64kB). More likely, the problem is caused by FS2002's culling of objects to keep frame rates within bounds - it seems that we no longer always have absolute control over maximum visibility ranges because of the optimisation code.Have you actually tried splitting the code into separate Area's though? This would be the obvious simple solution if it works - and I would be interested to hear the outcome.The other possibility here of course is that the problem with V2 culling is affecting even LayerCall'ed objects despite your previous impression.CheersGerrish

Hi Gerrish,I already tried to increase the range parameter of the Area command. I see no difference between 22 or 100, the problem is still there.As nobody here knows a solution :), I will now try to split the area in a few different Area commands (I will first try 4 or something like that). I will report back my findings here. I think it should work, because when I change the coordinates in the Area command closer to the polygon, the problem is gone.

Arno

Guest fumey

Hello Verify the latitude and longitude range in the header line. I have experimented such a mistake in the past (a long time to find)I have also experimented that we have to limit a scene to 0.5x0.5 degree, elsewhere I lost objects at the borders of the scene.Could be an help for you ?Christian

I have set my header that big that it is 0.5 degree on each site. The airport is certainly not that big, so I don't think that is the problem.

Arno