Sign in to follow this  
Guest JoeW

Ground2K and EZ-landclass

Guest seev_39

Hi all, I have a question to you guys (and Gals).If I change the default landclass with EZ-landclass can I later make an additional scenery with Ground2k on that same new landclass?From reading the tutorials I understand that Ground2k is kind of a layer above landclass, so it seems it is possible, but I want to be sure before I start to chang a large area which will need both a new landclass and a new shore line.Thanks and have funSeev

Hello Seev,There are not a lot of gals here as far as I can tell, this seems to be another of those places where boys discuss their toys.You can modify land class with Ground2K, so there is no need to use another program for that.EZ-Landclass is a very interesting utility, but it has a few shortcomings, in particular the 256 column limit.With Ground2K, you simply click on the work screen, select a land class, and that ground tile appears in the Area, letting you see the immediate result of your changes.There is a small oversight when it comes to generating the final bgl, but anyone here will be glad to show you the easy solution if you decide to use it.Best regards.Luis

Hi Seev.Good advice from Luis.However, if you already have a landclass made, go ahead and use it. Any scenery you want to create with Ground2K, or any other program, will be fine. I'm surprised you even asked this question, because if you would have tried it, you would have already known the answer.There is a peculiarity with landclass. It must have it's own project folder, and that must contain a "scenery" sub-folder... it must NOT have a twin "texture" sub-folder. This has nothing to do with Ground2K, but is a restriction of landclass files.I keep all my landclass files in one project folder: "FS2002 LandClass" ... then I can dump all my landclasses into it's "scenery" sub-folder. FS2002 doesn't care how many BGLS are in that folder, and as long as they don't overlap, they all display as expected. Dick

>You can modify land class with Ground2K, so there is no need>to use another program for that.Keep in mind that Ground2k only lets you change landclass values in the area you have chosen to work with, and that you have to prepare a bitmap of the area before you can even do anything, whereas with EZ-Landclass you just fly to the area you want to change and type in a number.>EZ-Landclass is a very interesting utility, but it has a few>shortcomings, in particular the 256 column limit.Excel is limited to 256 columns, however EZ-Landclass gets around that by using column 256 to store two values, so I don't think its fair to call it a "shortcoming" or "limitation". Please don't interpret my comments as a negative against Ground2k. I have used the program and have a great appreciation for all it can do.Regards,Russel DirksEZ-Landclass

BTW, Russ...My next release of Landclass Assistant will employ the 257x257 format. That should allow .raw files generated with either program to be cross compatible, and improve the placement of my textures.I'm still working out some of the math, and a standalone conversion utility that will allow existing LCA users to convert .raw files to the new format. That, and replacement of the FSUIPC interface are my last hurdles before release, which I hope to coincide with FS2004's release...-John

Guest seev_39

Hi guys (o.k. no girls),Thanks a lot."Keep in mind that Ground2k only lets you change landclass values in the area you have chosen to work with, and that you have to prepare a bitmap of the area before you can even do anything, whereas with EZ-Landclass you just fly to the area you want to change and type in a number."That's exactly why I thought it will be easier for a beginner to work with EZ-Landclass, because it creates immediately a BGL file (at least that's what the tutorial says). Only because of the shore line alterations, which can not be done with EZ-LC, I had the feeling there might be a problem here. I will get deeper into the Ground2k tutorial before I make my final decision. Thanks again to all of you.Seev

Guest GabrielR

Hi, I dedeveloped Land Class using Ground2K a couple of Months ago, Afer a fatal software crash and a reinstallaiton of my entire computer I have not been able to get my Land class file to work!!The Road River file works perfectly, but the land class, simply does not show up???What am i missing Here?Last time I remember I had problems installing it, but this time I simply cant Figure it out!!any tip appreciated,

Hola Gabriel,I posted a reply to this, but it seems that it was lost in the crash of the forum system.Let's see if this one lasts:Dick Ludowise gave a very comprehensive solution to this a few months ago - just search this forum for "Dick Ground2K batch" and you should find it. Just remember to use the Boolean operator "AND" when you search.You must go to the File Parameters page and check the "Update RAW general file" switch in order for the RAW file to be created.Then, you will have to make a minor change to the TmpLC.Inf file to include the name of your RAW file.Then, just compile your file with Microsoft Resample.If this is too complicated, simply use EZ-Landclass by Russell Dirks. An excellent program that is perfect for beginners.Best regards.Luis

Guest Tony_A

Hi Seev, I've used EZ-landclass and Coastline maker to alter a coasline and "make" islands. I've recently uploaded a scenery - Keppel Bay - Central Queensland tohttp://www.oceaniasim.com/if you want to take a look at it. I had used Coastlinmaker to make all of the islands but the ones too far away from existing land were filled with water. As soon as EZ-landcalss became available I gave it a try and succeeded if finishing my scenery. Tony

Guest seev_39

Hi Tony,I haven't downloaded your scenery, but I saw the screen-shot in the oceaniasim library. It looks great, very real. That is exactly what I wish to accomplish.For the time being I will give Ground2k a try because the utility includes also "exclude" command and road correction. I have not looked yet into Coastlinemaker, and will do so soonWith thanksSeev

Guest JoeW

Another reason that could keep it from showing is if you have another landclass of the same area that was installed earlier. This could be the FS Genesis Landclass of the USA. File Name is: fsglc_us.bgl . If a landclass file is installed for an area that has an earlier date, FS2k2 uses that file. If your landclass file is smaller than the other in area and you want it to show, simply rename the earlier file to a bak file rather than a bgl. Then start FS2k2 and the exit and rename that file that you renamed back to a bgl file. That will place your file at an earlier date than the larger one.How do I know this? Bob Brown and I did the State of Florida Landclass. We used John Cilis's Landclass Assistant to do that.I also answered this question earlier and it was lost.Joe w.