Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

For PaulL01

Hi PaulI notice from your sig that you o/c your Ti200.I have the same card and am interested in your results; do you (honestly) see any noticeable increase in performance in FS? I can understand how Quake 12 or whatever might run faster, but am sceptical about something like FS.Also, have you added any extra cooling? You seem to have cranked it up quite high.... ! Cheers

Guest Max Cowgill

>Hi Paul >>I notice from your sig that you o/c your Ti200. >>I have the same card and am interested in your results; do >you (honestly) see any noticeable increase in performance in >FS? I can understand how Quake 12 or whatever might run >faster, but am sceptical about something like FS. >>Also, have you added any extra cooling? You seem to have >cranked it up quite high.... ! >>Cheers Damian, I can answer your question for Paul (but I'm sure he'll want to have his say ;) ). If you've been following fs2k2 and video performance, you'd notice that this question has been dealt with many many many times before. Overclocking your video card (unless you have an extremely low-class video card or super powerful CPU that's not even available yet) you will see little to no fps gains in FS2k2 (nothing tremendous anyway). FS2k2 is much more dependent upon the speed of your CPU and your FSB than it is upon the power of your video card. However, overclocking your video card will allow you to raise the resolution and turn up detail settings and maintain more of your performance than you would at stock settings. Most retail GF3 Ti 200's can be overclocked to 230/460 core/memory settings, and some can be pushed even higher if you've got a decent cooling setup and some high-speed ram on the video card (system cooling can help keep ambient temps down, which can also help when overclocking components).Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Paul >>I notice from your sig that you o/c your Ti200. >>I have the same card and am interested in your results; do >you (honestly) see any noticeable increase in performance in >FS? I can understand how Quake 12 or whatever might run >faster, but am sceptical about something like FS. >>Also, have you added any extra cooling? You seem to have >cranked it up quite high.... ! >>CheersAre you sure you want the truth? Can you han...never mind, sigh. Good question and one that I answered just recently, I tried to find it via search, But I gave up it is not working like it should (TOM?).O/C to me is simply a free upgrade, as long as you are knowledgeable (only takes a little reading) :) and do not become careless, you can upgrade your TI200 to near TI500 speed.Same with the CPU, I have a 1.3 Athlon that cost less than $100 and performs like a $200 XP1900 Via a fast FSB setting that is also contributing to my cards performance in a considerable way as the AGP bus usually operates at 66hz but now is at a stable 74hz, that

Guest PaulL01

Max, you said it much better than I, I think I've just been to Geekdom!:-abduct Paul

Guest SoarPics

Gee, Paul, you explain things so completely that there is little else to be said!! I will add this: I recently upgraded to a Gainward GF3 Ti200 Golden Sample. Out of the box the card was clocked at 200/450 Core/Clock speeds. After settling on a set of drivers I am happy with I overclocked to 240/500, and have had no problems (5 weeks, and stock cooling). I totally concur with wanting every little bit of extra performance during those system intensive flights. Like you, I notice the difference (no more dynamic blurring @ 200 KIAS and 3000' AGL).AMD 1.4 Tbird @ 1.5Ghz (143 FSB)512 MB DDR PC2100Gainward GF3 Ti200 GS @240/500 on 21.85 driversWin 98SE (just keep it clean)Maxtor 40gig 7200RPM ATA100Coolermaster ATC Case with enough fans to make it go airborn.Enermax 431 W PSAnd part of my kid's college fundRegards,

Guest Max Cowgill

>Gee, Paul, you explain things so completely that there is >little else to be said!! Now let's not confuse "explaining things so completely.." with throwing out a bunch of useless extraneous info ;) :-lol j/k PaulMax Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

Thanks as always for the kind words Greg. :)Thats a sweet card you got there! I'm afraid mine wont do anymore than what I stated. But I cant complain as it was a wise move when I bought it and it still holds its own. :)see ya!Paul