Sign in to follow this  
Guest luissa

Transparent hills?

Guest CapnCol

I have created hills surrounding an airport where the ground was previously flat. Now I find that I can see the airport through the terrain when approaching from "behind" the hill. Is there some fix for this or is it a video card limitation? ThanksColin

Guest JohnC

If you are using FS98 and created the hills in ASD, you will see thru some hills because of a FS98 limitation.

Guest CapnCol

I used the remesh option in Ground2K (sorry should have said in my previous post). I was fed up with flat ground where it should not have been so I changed it. It does look okay but sometimes from a distance you can see the airport through the hill.Colin

Hi Colin.Is this a default airport? Also, I recall some time ago another designer had a similar problem... but I don't recall if there was a solution. Try a search under knnygar and airport or runway.Dick

Hi Dick (and Colin),>Also, I recall some time ago another designer had a similar>problem... but I don't recall if there was a solution. That was me, at least I had a similar problem with a runway shining through mesh terrain mountains. The discussion must have been in February I think. I've posted screenshots of the problem also.I've search many places and asked many experts - to no avail really.The only fix was to reduce visibility of the runway to around 14 nm or so because the funny thing was that it only was visible from more far away, not when being nearer than around 10 miles from the mountain/runway.Colin, check whether this 'bleed through' is always the case or is depending on the relative distance.Rainer

Hi Rainer.Thanks for reminding me. ( Sorry for the mixup ).LWM flattens are very dependant on the mesh upon which they interact... so that might control the distance at which the problem would occur. I'll try to find that old post.Dick

Guest CapnCol

Morning RainerThanks for the information, it does appear to be worse the further away you are from the airport. I have checked the visibility distance with hindsight, I did put it way too far too (40 nm I think). Since changing it I have not noticed the same problem occurring. I now need to experiment to find the "ideal" distance.Thanks again.Colin

Hi Colin.Steve greenwood has done some studying of the distance at which mesh LODs kick-in... this may have an effect on the LWM remeshing, and their visibility characteristics, as they are tied to the mesh LOD in some respects. Just a thought. :)Dick

Guest luissa

HiWhat about changing your PerspectiveCall()s to PerspectiveCall2()s ?Regards, Luis

Guest CapnCol

Morning LuisI have to admit I don't understand what you mean "perspectiveCall."Its all a bit academic for the moment as I went into Ground 2k last night to do some tweaking and when I tried to create the bgl I got an error message saying that the BGLC.exe could not be found. Colin

Guest fumey

Ground2K and BGLC.exePlease, read the joined Readme.txt file.The path to Ground2K.exe (and bglc.exe) must not contain SPACE.Christian

Guest CapnCol

Hi ChristianI have seen the readme text and thought there was no space, since I created and updated the bgl file probably 5 or 6 times before I got the error. I have had this problem before so I am pretty sure I've messed things up somewhere. Oh well you live and learn don't you?Colin

Guest luissa

>I have to admit I don't understand what you mean>"perspectiveCall."Hi,3D objects are normally sorted for display order with PerpectiveCalls.They are drwan after mountains and terrain unless theu use PerpectiveCall2s. I think FS draws terrain, then ground polys (LayerCalls) and finally 3D objects (PerspectiveCalls)If a distant object is seen through a near mountain, may be changing the object calling routine to a PerspectiveCall2 will stop this. You can just add the character "2" to one line of code in one object and see if this one object bleeds!Regards, Luis