Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Re-painting the default roads

Guest Stormshadow

Hey all,It seems nobody is interested in replacing the default road textures so I thought I'd give it a try. I've learnt that the default roads are in scenebworldtextures and named roadsxx.bmpHowever when I tried modifying the texture roadssu.bmp, with MS Paint and paintshop pro, MS crashes while loading..basically, the DirectX dialog props up and all I can do is to shut down MS. When I replace the texture with the default one, everything works fine again. I wonder why MS crashes upon such a simple re-paint?Storm

Guest gorchi

Hi Stormhave You saved Your bitmaps as extended 8bit bitmaps with mip maps and alpha channel? The format must be exactly the same.And I don't want to discourage You but I know at least 2 repaints of these roads.And finally, the road bitmap You mentioned is only one type, but there are also dirtroads and highways there too. For the name of these textures take a look into terraintextures.cfg.Best regards and good luck with Your repaint!Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest Stormshadow

Cheers Goran,Can you kindly point me to the links of the textures you know about?Storm

You can found road textures for FS Default VTP2 Lines on my homepage. www.jobia.deThe code of default FS Roads ist not the same as own lines.For own VTP Lines i can realise better textures.

I have tried road replacement textures with pretty satisfactory results. Perhaps someone can make or point to replacement for railroad tracks, because current substitution as dirt road doesnt look too good I am afraid. Ted

Guest gorchi

Ted,for railroads I use a default MS texture, which is attached but it seems it is not used. I think it sounds like highwayv... but I use width of 15. This gives me more or less 2 black lines, which are far from perfect but okay...Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Thanks Goran I'll try. It souds to me like higwayw (winter). I was wondering if there was a possibility of introducing new texture in place of something seldom used. Is there anyting new comming with FS2004 in landtexture department? Ted

Hi Ted.If your using Ground2K, you can easily add line textures to the "OwnLines.txt" found in Ground2k's "Resource" folder...Here's an example of some textures I added to the list:[Texture.8004] // CFS2 RailLinesType=1Size=4Textures=CFS2_RailLines.bmp[Texture.8005] // CFS2 minor roadType=1Size=4Textures=CFS2_MinorRoad.bmp[Texture.8006] // CFS2 trailType=1Size=4Textures=CFS2_Trail.bmp( Just make sure you add these textures to either the main "Texture" folder, or add a texture sub-folder to your project, which contains the textures ).You can load the default line textures into PaintShopPro, then manipulate them as you'd like... or create new lines ( use a vertical grid @ 16 spaces to orientate, and a size of 256 x 256 ). Make an alpha channel by selecting Black, saving to alpha, then deselecting. Then save as a TGA, 16 bits, uncompressed.Imagetool can load this, and make it 8-bit, mipped, and save as a BMP.Done.These new lines can be drawn with Ground2K.Dick

Sounds pretty easy. I assume that theese added textures will appear in Line/shore window after they are added to the ownlines.txt file. Is the sequence number of such a texture of any importance? My "ownlines.txt" entry ends on 1181. How about the type? Always type 1?And one more question. Can a road/line be elevated constant distance from the ground? Or better yet can a road/line be oriented vertically and follow the terrain. That would be neat in order to make elevated highways or powerlines. Thanks Ted

Hi Ted.As far as I can tell, VTP always clings to the mesh.Get version4 of Ground2K, and see how Christian added lines for CFS2 textures in the ownlines.txtDick