Sign in to follow this  

Back to basics an odd day :-) Pics

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I had some unusual flying today in the sense that I collected a C152 that a friend is going to use for cheap flight training.Problem one was that having travelled by road to collect the aircraft I found out that infact the positioning pilot had left it at an airfield 60 miles away.I spent the next hour trying to cadge a lift off any aircraft going in that direction.I was lucky only to find that this well used 152 hardly had anything working and it was back to basics of eyeballing and map reading.I learnt to Fly in a 152 and havent touched one since so it was also very much "memory lane" from 18 years ago :-)I really had a lot of fun going low and slow, following motorways and hardly going any quicker than the cars below.We really do need more defined features in FS2002. whats that addon which lays out city shapes better?Anyway just a couple of shots from today :-)Peter

Nice shots Peter. Makes me look forward to MSFS2020. David

LOL - I'm doing my PPL in a '71 172 and the IAS is in mph, no adf,1 vor no g/s. and a old gps that quits working every 5 minutes. Only thing is it's really cheap.David

DavidNow thats odd! Im sure they told me this one was a 152 ;-) I didnt collect your 172 today did I? sounds just like this 152.No this one was in kts and no GPS, no 2 VOR u/s, ADF u/s DME u/sRadios (yikes) who needs radios. Constant aeleron to fly level, engine runs a liitle rough at low RPM and interior looks like a dog and cat have been locked in together for half an hour :-)Whats Carb Heat??? ;-)Peter

Nice pics....Where were u flying? Looks like UK?Will

These were taken over the M40 in the UK. Now I know how those Police chopper pilots feel grabbing speeding motorists as I followed the Motorway most of the way to Birmingham UK :-)Peter

Guest Iain Spowart

Hi Peter :-waveExcellent pictures (as always!). I prefer low'n'slow in FlightSim and these pictures show how good FS has become, and also how far it still has to go!BTW, I sold a Canon G1 to someone the other day who is planning on attaching it to the wing of his paraglider and taking shots using the remote control. I'll see if he'll let me post some of his pictures here as they could be interesting!Iain Spowart,Scotland.Webmaster and photographer,Scottish Claymores 2002Cheerleaders Fan Sitehttp://www.claymorescheerleaders.com/media/avsim/2002-s.jpghttp://ClaymoresCheerleaders.com

IainLow and slow the way to go :-) I bet he will get some stunning shots with a G1 attached to the wing so yes lets see some of his work :-)Peter

Always enjoy your shots Peter, keep 'em coming :-)VFR in FS2k2 would be nice if you got that sort of quality:D

Guest JonP01

Very nice shots. I wonder how many years away it will be when screenshots from MS flight sim look the same as this. I suppose FS2020 is as good a guess as any, given the diminishing returns of ever increasing hardware speeds.

>We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there yet!

Just a thought with your commentsDoes anyone know which is the most detailed piece of addon scenery for FS2002, one which has very accurate elevation and does show every road, house etc without the random and extensive placing of autogen trees and houses.I would like to look at such a scenery even if it only covers a small area.Fly! with its limited areas does a pretty good job of VFR scenery for small areas.Maybe we should be looking at contour maps and road maps for scenery creation and not our present sources.Peter

Hello Peter,Your pictures, as usual, are stunning and show why flying is so enjoyable, and why simulators still have not achieved that level.You ask for realistic scenery - in the TerraBuilder forum, a number of people have put together exactly what you mention. Paul Leatzaw has his incredible Rochester scenery (but will he ever finish it?), Stefano Oss has done a stunning Dolomites scenery, and many others have done different parts of the world, mostly the U.S., New Zealand, Australia.I myself am working on Paris and its suburbs, and might have it finished just about the time Paul releases his scenery.Of course, these are replacement ground textures, using aerial photographs, so everyone can distinctly make out houses, monuments, parks, etc. VFR becomes quite possible and enjoyable.Best regards.Luis

LuisI know the Paris area well so am looking forward to your scenery. Stephano s scenery is one I will have to get.But what I am after is one airport which has more than just airport detail but also has the approaches in superb detail so that as you come down you get a sense of speed from the roads getting larger and more detailed the same for houses factories lakes trees etc.Peter

"...engine runs a liitle rough at low RPM and interior looks like a dog and cat have been locked in together for half an hour..."Peter,Who do you think was powering the engine? Get a dog and a cat on a hamster wheel and you got power! :-)Clients complain when the computers at work crash. We just blame the Squirrels inside. ;-)Thanks for the pics. I remember training in a 152 for a little bit. I saw one the other day and for the life of me, I don't know HOW I fit in one! (I'm 6'4"). I guess where there's a will, there is a way.