Sign in to follow this  

Adding Addition AFD Files.....

Hi guys, I'm up against it, again...I have modified a Afd file(Eurnwafd.Bgl) mainly Grid Co-ordinates...I believe that is possible to add an additional Afd file, which I can create easily enough and would live in the following location;?:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBAFDFILESSCENERYHow does this work with the entry that already exists in the main EurnwAfd.bgl, how is this data actually superceeded..Hope someone understands what I mean and can helpKind RegardsDave

Guest christian

As far is I know, not at all. You have to delete the stuff you don't want in the main AFD, there is no 'order' in AFD files. Microsoft hasn't implemented any 'override' mechanism in AFD files, since editing them isn't officially supported (no AFD SDK)...Christian

Generally, if you have two AFD files you will get dual entries in the airport selection menu. It will also duplicate the NAVAIDs in MapView and on the GPS depending on the NAVAIDS you may put in your new AFD file.It is usually better to modify the existing default file if it exists and add new AFD files for non-existing or undefined airports.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the repliesI must admit, modifying the Existing (Eurnwsfd.bgl) was my plan, or even deleting MSFS's entry in this file so I could include my own Afd file, but this still constitutes modifying the file. But it was pointed out to me, that anybody that downloads my scenery could instal another Addon Scenery that may overwrite my modified Eurnwafd.bgl, which seems unavoidable.Although I would supply the Default Eurnwafd.bgl as backup, because I don't know how to change the ext from *.bgl to *.bak. However, I could do this in a batch file but the Exe programs seem more geared to running Script files, rather than *.bat files. As it is, I have to find out how to add this file in the uninstal procedure. I am currently using InstalShield 3.5.I have looked at the AFDLINKHELPER.EXE file by Manfred.Moldenhauer which can be distributed with my scenery for users to modify their own Eurnwafd.bgl, this seems a bit of a lottery, going by the number of emails I got for support and I used a *.exe file for installation. The easiest option, is may be to give those that wish the to modify this file(Eurnwafd.bgl) the information and file they need to do this, which I realise was the intention of the author, but not include his program.A zip file seems alot less aggro(spelling) for distributing files and not being a native programmer, all this additional work to package my work is very professional and worth while as long as I know what I'm doing!!!I'd welcome any others views or thoughts. It seems a grey area...Gerrish.....RegardsDave

It is more proper to provide an AFD text file that you make with AFCAD. This allows the scenery downloader to install your AFD file or use/modify it for themselves.I believe modifying the default scenery file from fs2002 and distributing a modified scenery file (*.bgl) is a violation of the EULA.

Guest christian

Dunno about distributing a modified AFD file. I'd say that it should be ok, but then I'm no legal expert. On one hand it is a Microsoft file. On the other hand, the info in the file is possibly 'free' in the first place.Let me explain with an example:I've redone the whole AFD airspace entries for NZ. I was lucky, because NZ was in it's own file, so I could simply replace existing files. But in the end my files are similar to the original files from Microsoft since the airspace hasn't changed all that much over a year (I added the correct airspace classes though). While I have used the original CAA source data, so haven't reused any Microsoft data, potentially I could have used the same source data as Microsoft, and then there wouldn't be any difference between both files in the first place.Another example is the terrain files. The river and roads data is often based on the freely available DCW data. If one would rebuild the terrain data from the DCW data (or GTOPO data or other USGS data), one would possibly end up again with identical files.The question, I think, is: can you distribute modified Microsoft files, when the files contain freely avaible data in the first place, ie you could rebuild those files from scratch using other data sources?My common sense would say that nobody would have a problem with that as long as you explicitly state your case in a README. And if Microsoft has a problem with that (or avsim if you plan to host the files here), I'm sure they'll let you know...Cheers, Christian

Hi GuysThanks for the replies, I think the jury were out but by now their backI will include my own additional Afd file which has a different name to the Default 'Welshpool' Town name, "The Montgomeryshire & Mid Wales Airport". Although this is duplication to some extent, it means this file can't be overwritten and does enable users to locate my airfield from the Fs2002 Menu. I will need to document the difference in my readme, this is all I can do, I feel. I have added additional links under the Addon Sceneries pageI tried the utility from Manfred "AFDLINKHELPER.EXE" and all this did was merge the two set's of data in the single entry in the database. This mean't I got two R22 positions, one correct and the other, Fs Default of centre from the runway, this seems worse. For me, the issue of copyright is vague, I am making their data more accurate and doing them extra service, but this not my concern. It is the issue that someone could come along and overwrite my efforts, so it seems pointless in the first place.Many thanks for your thoughts and opinionsRegardsDave