Sign in to follow this  
Guest seev_39

ground2k - need help, please

Guest seev_39

Hi all,I am doing a new landclass for Israel. Now finally, after many hours of work, the "product" is being tested by several other fellow simmers in order to get the green light for uploading.During testing I encountered a serious problem. While the scenery looks fine on my computer, it shows "water lagoons" (along the coast line) on the computers of the testers. We all use the same old good FS2002 professional.Please look at the attached screenshot that compares my computer and another computer.Maybe it's a texture problem, because also the surounding area shows a differet landclass type. If so, what is the cure? The coast line was made with a land polygon (with shore) and then a coast line was added seperately. In FS2002 default this "lagoon" area was sea before my work.I can't remember if I ever replaced the default textures with an add-on. My fellow simmers, who perform the test, say they never did so.I work with both ground2k and EZ-landclass. The combination shows excellent results and I did not encouter any competibility problems so far. Or, maybe it has an effect on this issue after all?Can anyone please help me out of this problem.Seevhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24600.jpg

Seev,My first guess is that you may not have sent your beta testers all the relevant scenery files. I've used Ground2k a bit and I know it puts out several different files in different folders. Make sure you've accounted for them all. Either that or your beta testers are not installing the files properly. Remember, landclass files must be installed in a folder that does NOT have a corresponding texture folder.THe fact that your beta testers are getting water where there is supposed to be land suggests that they are missing a landclass file.Russ DirksEZ-Landclass

Guest seev_39

Thanks Russ,I made the point of "no texture folder" in my instructions for installation, but I have no idea to what extend this was followed.Is it possible for you to spend a few minutes on the scenery and test it by yourself? There are 2 EZ-Landclass bgl files and 11 ground2k bgl files in the scenery folder. Total 13 BGL's. The zip is 43 KB.If you could spend the time I can e-mail you the zip.Many thanks again.Seev

Hi Seev.Russ is right. That is a problem with landclass. The default may have been assigned as a water value, and somehow the new land value was never assigned. Or there is a missing landmask, that doesn't allow the landclass value to show.Dick

Hello to all,There is perhaps another possibility.Seev mentions that he created a poly with shore (land mask plus a shoreline), then added a coastline.In Ground2K, a coastline is a line (shore) with water mask on one side. Normally, this option would be used when one wants to eliminate land and replace it with water, while laying down a shoreline at the same time.There would be no need of a coastline if there is already a shoreline placed with poly with shore.This does not explain why the problem appears on one computer, but not another.Perhaps, if the above is the problem, Seev could explain a bit more precisely exactly what he has done.Best regards.Luis

Sure, you can send me the files. My email address is in the EZ-Landclass documentation.Before you do that, you might want to try something. Go into FS and de-activate the scenery area for your project. Then take the zip file you sent to your beta testers, unzip it and install it in a separate folder on your hard drive, and add that as a new scenery area in FS. In other words, see if you can reproduce the problem on your computer.Russ

Guest seev_39

Hi Luis and all,I gave it another try with my testing pals. Now it's clear, they all have the "lagoons" while I don't have them. Here are the details of what I did1. I made a main polygon for the coast line as "poly with shore". LWM "land". I did this because I want different coasts along the line. Some with big waves and white sand, others with black sand and small waves. Therefore I couldn't make a "coast line".2. Then I added "lines" LWM "land" for the different coast types.You can see it all on the attached screen shots.thanks againSeevhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24679.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24680.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/24681.jpg

Hello Seev,There are a number of things here.The option "Poly with shore" is used when you want to create a coast (a body of land, i.e., a Land Mask) with a shoreline automatically added all along its edge. When you select "Poly with shore", you must also select the shoreline in the "Line/Shore" section on the top right and the type of LWM (Land/Water Mask) in the "LWM/Poly" section just underneath.Note that you have selected "Poly with shore" and left a stream line as the shore that follows the edge of your new coast. Normally, a line with a width of 5 meters would not appear at all - too narrow to show the texture (in this case, the stream).If you do not want an associated shoreline, make your new coast using "Poly without shore" and declare it as Land in the "LWM/Poly" section.Then, draw your different types of beaches separately (as you have done), declaring them as Line/LakeShore.Please note that when you use this last option, only the "Line/Shore" section on the top right is active. Selecting Land in the "LWM/Poly" section has no effect, because you are drawing a line without any associated polygon.It is not clear that this should cause that lagoon to appear, however. Perhaps there is something going on that we still do not understand.As for your different ground textures, perhaps this is due to the way in which the land class bgl is declared in the Flight Simulator scenery library. Could you indicate how you created the directory structure for your scenery and whether you placed the land class bgl in the same scenery folder as the new terrain?Best regards.Luis

Guest seev_39

Many thanks Luis (and all the others too)I will try your suggestion and change the main poly to be a "poly with shore" with a defined line/shore type (one that is over 10 or 20 meter). I did this before, but what happened was that a coast line showed along the whole!!! poly - even on land.As for the folder order. Here is a screenshot that show where I put the BGL files and as you can see - no texture folders, I also made now two seperated folders for ground2k and EZLandclass, because I thought maybe that could couse the problem.My landclass textures are placed in the default route of C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBWORLDTexture. Yesterday I replaced this whole folder with a copy that I got from one of the beta testers - to check if the problem is in different landclass files. But it seems that there was no difference.Have funSeevhttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25089.jpg

Hello Seev,Very sorry, there is some confusion here.I do NOT recommend that you create a "Poly with shore".You want to make a new coast (Land Mask) and then add different beaches (shorelines) along it.So, you should first draw a "Poly WITHOUT shore". Declare it as Land in the "LWM/Poly" section. LWM stands for Land/Water Mask.Then. draw your beaches separately. Declare them as "Line/LakeShore" and choose the type of beach in the "Line/Shore" section. (When you declare a curve as "Line/LakeShore", only the "Line/Shore" section on the top right is active. It is a Line, so the Polygon sections below are not relevant and you should not select anything in them.)In the "Line/Shore" section, do NOT check "Join ends of line". This option closes the curve that you draw by adding a straight segment from one end of your beach to the other - it should really only be used when you are drawing the same beach all around an island or a lake. If you use it here, you will get a beach going through land, as you found out.As for your directory structure, it certainly does not seem to have any problems, and if the scenery shows correctly on your system, then we can assume that the scenery is not at fault. Perhaps your friends have not understood how the scenery should be declared. Or, perhaps the zip file that you provide them does not recreate the proper directory structure when they unzip the file. In any case, if it works for you, but not for them, then you might want to revise that aspect.Best regards.Luis

I suffer identical problem. "Other" computer shows original tiles of the Landclass through. 1. I made 2nd instalation of the scenery under different name on the Original computer and problem could not been replicated.2. I have made 2 sceneries side by side , both equal size od an Area. Only one Area shows the trouble. The one made earlier. No problems with compilation, all files (*.bgl) transferred and identicall. 3. The only difference between computers are: - one without the problem has Ground2k installed and sceneries were made here. - installation of FS World Scenery is partial, but slightghtly different. 4. 3rd computer shows a problem too. Stumped :( Ted

Wanted to add that problem is with VTP2 Poly - Landclass texture (con forest #003 )not visible, however Autogen shows on what seems to me original landclass tiles. "Patches" run in several continous bands consisting of cells side by side. Ted

Trying to come up with any solution I have installed program Ground2k v. 4.0 plus all necessary dlls on the "other" computer to see if I could create scenery bgl files there. Program appears to be running OK. I have also copied original Project.lwm files, but I cannot open any of them. What more files am I missing? How can I continue the process of making scenery on another computer in case of HD crash of something like that?Ted

Guest fumey

Check if the map .bmp is really existing on your hard drive.Ground2K gives up loading when not finding this picture.All information of your project are in the .lwm file : it is a plain text file; you can read name and folder of the .bmpChristian

Great, I found it. To open *.lwm file with editor use "open with" otherwise it starts the program as it should.Thank you. Ted