Sign in to follow this  

Ground2k Roads and Clinging

Hi Folks,I have been working with Ground2K and I have a good handle on the basics thanks to information here at this forum and some good tutorials, Thanks a bunch to all. I am having some problems with roads not clinging to the elevation changes in my scenery areas. The roads seem to have a tendency to dive under the landclass. I am using the bate version of Justin Tyme's US Landclass. I have yet to try the roads with the default landclass, because I love Mr. Tyme's landclass so much. I really do need to get the official release version of his product, it's a fixed income thing for me.Anyway, please let me know if there is anyway to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.Take care.John Williams

I have tried this several ways now, but get the same results. I have changed the width of the roads, changed the starting points, changed the style of the roads, and now have tried it in the default landclass, and I still get the same results at the same locations. It really looks like an elevation problem, but it must be fairly minute, cause the elevation change at these points where the road disappears is not more than ~7 ft. AGL. Let me know if you have any ideas as to how to cure the problem.Take care. John Williams

Hi John.I suspect you're not getting an answer. because no one else has ever had a problem with VTP roads not clinging to the mesh. That is their purpose.Are you sure you are not using SCASM generated FS2000-style roads, amde with FSSC or Airport?Dick

Hello John,As Dick says, roads made in Ground2K will always follow the altitude mesh elevation and do not disappear underneath.Roads can, however, disappear under other circumstances.When crossing from one Cell to another, a road will disappear before the Cell boundary and reappear a distance away on the other side. The solution to this is to make the road in 2 parts. End each one at the Cell boundary and be sure to click numerous times at the last few Points in order to avoid the dread "pointed edge" road.The Cell boundary is indicated in Ground2K by a solid red line, I believe. Is this, by any chance, your problem?Best regards.Luis

Let me take a guess..If you create a straight section of road without any node points for some considerable distance the roadway will seem to disappera and the reappear near the next node point. Has to do with the tapering function. The solution is to wither insert some spaced node points or re-do the raod(s) with clicks every few miles(km). The optimum spacing is unknown to me so need to try.Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Guys,Thanks for the responses. I will try all of your ideas and get back with you to let you know what happened. The roads were totally made with Ground2K, and at the points I am having trouble there are no boundaries and no added scenery. I do remember using the added nodes at the ends in Coastline maker, and I never even thought of adding extra nodes to the roads on long stretches. Thanks again, much appreciated.Take care.John Williams

Hi John.I think Dick's ( nudata ) idea is the one to mind. If the roads have 6-10 points per LOD13 area on a straight run, there should be no problem with tapering or narrowing, because there would be no long stretches.Dick

Thanks Dick, both of ya.....LOL.I have tried what you have suggested and found it to be true, also you need to use double points at each LOD13 boundary on both sides of it. The ones closest tothe boundary should be as close together as possible, and then a second point for each place very near these boundary points. Works pretty good for me.Thanks again, John Williams