Sign in to follow this  

Gerrish Gray's Trees

Hi all! I have tried to use Gerrish's trees in COF, but no show. Not even the white boxes appear. I've tried putting the bgl and textures everywhere, and still nothing. Any clues or ideas? Thanks!Don

Play with the settings. I don't remember which one did it, but it has to do with the settings. Everything in this p.o.s. has to do with settings.Don

It doesn't work if you put the TREES_0.BGL in the FS2004SCENERY directory as directed by the README. I put it in the SCENERY directory of some scenery I'm working on for FS2004 and it worked OK. It might work if you put it in the ADDON SCENERYSCENERY directory but I haven't tried that. The BMP's go in the main TEXTURE directory as before.Al W

Guest GerrishGray

Hi guysThe FS2004scenery folder is NOT intended to hold ANY scenery files. It is merely a container for the rest of the scenery tree.The best folder for trees_0.bgl in FS2004 is probably basescenery with the textures in the main texture folder. Other scenery folders will probably work OK too, but you should be careful to avoid duplications in different folders because this can lead to the trees losing their textures and displaying as white rectangles.You should use the FS2002 versions of the textures, which are in the preferred DXT1 format, not the older FS2000 versions which use the old FS2000 'Bmp2000' 8-bit extended format which does not work too well for my trees in FS2004 (it didn't work so well in FS2002 either, come to that). Please note that the readme file in trees_v3.zip was of course written for FS2000/2002 long before FS2004 came out.There will be a trees_v4 for FS2004 in due course, but it will add to v3 rather than replace it, because v3 works fine in FS2004.CheersGerrish

You are right on with the placement Gerrish. But I noticed that sliding a slider the wrong way can eliminate the trees completely, as well as ramp textures too! These settings seem to be very sensitive to what you are viewing. The settings seem to be more than just adjusting for framerates now. Everyday seems to be a learning experience! LOL!Don

Whoops. In rereading my post I see that it looks like I'm accusing Gerrish Gray of having an error in his Readme regarding the placement of the BGL. Not so. The main scenery directory was correct for FS2000 and FS2002 but FS2004 is a different breed of cat.

Al,May I ask - is the scenery you're working on (whisper it!) a version of your CCCoast for FS2004:-eek ? If so, I'm going out to buy FS2004 tonight - it's the only reason I haven't changed over. Yep, CC Coast is that good, I can't fly without it.(PS I was Crid, but couldn't sign in for some reason, hence the longer name!)