Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Excludes in FS2004

I guess you are right there :D, but it sounds strange to me that placing the excludes in a different folder suddenly fixes that.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Hi Arno.I'm assuming you're writing about this:" I've found that excludes that worked fine in '02 at MKC don't work the same in '04. I read some hints from others in this thread and then established an independent directory for exclude files, added it to the scenery lib and gave it a lower priority. Seems to work. Only drag is that Airport creates the exclude files in same directory as other bgl files so you have to manually cut and paste exclude files to exclude dir. Somewhat of a pain but it works."I bolded the reason why it worked. He had an exclude that was apparently excluding the new scenery because it was later in the datastream. By moving it earlier in the datastream, it magically works to exclude only the default. I believe that Mike has a misunderstanding of the nature of exclude BGLs, and how they are used. As you are aware, an exclude BGL will remove the specified layer for sceneries loaded earlier in the Scenery Library. In Mike's case, we don't know how he has added the sceneries... was it thrown into the Addon folder? or added to the main scenery folder? Who knows? The old method of creating a project folder, with twin 'scenery' and 'texture' folders, and adding these with the Scenery Library, is still the best way to add scenery. It avoids these types of confusions.I still haven't had any proof that allows me to duplicate Mike's "problem" with excludes. That isn't to say his solution won't work. If the first addon scenery project is a scenery folder dedicated to exclude BGLs of default scenery, that would work... but if new addon sceneries are conflicting, they would still need excludes in the "proper" scenery folders... just like we have been using them.There is a possiblility that a naming convention could also affect excludes in FS2004.. with "aa.bgl" being processed before "zz.bgl", and this is true for terrain scenery. Then exclude BGLs would need an "aa" prefix to avoid excluding scenery within it's own folder ( due to the nature of the datastream ). But as far as I know, this is not true for FS2004.EDITED=========I just checked the naming convention possibility.. it makes no difference. All aspects of exclude BGLs are the same for FS2004.Dick

Guest MikeEppright

I am far from an expert in these matters. However, what I do know is that using the latest release of "Airport", I used to create exclude files within the Airport program that nicely excluded default scenery and didn't touch scenery placed with Airport into the same directory. Not so with 2004. Its as simple as that. Maybe the "Airport" program did something wierd that I am not aware of. Copying and Pasting to different directory seems to be a cumbersome fix until Airport programmers update.I appreciate the comments. Its these dialogs that allow people such as me to grow in the hobby.

I found that the texture layer numbers changed. As an example ROADS 31 is now ROADS 6.Dick KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest Barney1

I just finished a project last evening whereby I removed the default bridge across the Detroit River between Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan. I used the beta version of Airport to create the exclude area. Still using that version of Airport, I then inserted a "new" bridge, created with EOD, using the same file and schematic as used to describe the exclude coordinates. I am also still using the twin folder arrangement with separate directory for adding scenery; that is, I don't employ the default Add-on Folder where everything ends up like a dog's breakfast!! With the exception of getting FS2004 to accept a couple of transparency-type texture files, everything appears to work fine. The fix for the textures was to alter the "green"(transparent area) background to "black" (colour 0 of the pallette). To date, I have no idea why this should make a difference; however, it did indeed solve my problem. This initially green background file was tested in FS2002 without incident, so I suspect the format of texture files may be more important in FS2004 than in the previous version.BTW, due to the inaccessibility of updating the Scenery Library via the tool bar, as we've been able to in the past, I found it more convenient to design/test everything within FS2002 before trying in FS2004; after all, as designers, we all know how critical our time is!

Guest jimjones

I am modifying my fs2002 Louisville scenery for use with fs2004. There are some default buildings and two bridges that I do not want to appear. I've used SCASM excludes to remove the buildings at the Louisville International Airport successfully, but cannot remove one of the default bridges.When I activate my Louisville scenery, which contains its own bridges, one of the default bridges disappears when no exclude for the default bridges is issued. If I create an exclude that encompasses both the default bridges while the new scenery is activated, the default bridge that had disappeared reappears and the second bridge is not excluded. I've checked and rechecked the lat and lon header, lat range and the exclude ranges and cannot seem to remove the one bridge even though the entire length of the bridge is encompassed. Very frustrating!Is there a limit to the number of scasm excludes. I have over 20.Jim Jones

As far as I know there is no limit on the amount of excludes.How wide did you make the exclude around the bridge? In the problem above of the box on the runway I had to make the exclude bigger then the actual object was, probably because the RefPoint was not placed at the center of the object. Have you already tried this for your bridge?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest jimjones

Yes, I believe the exclude file should encompass the reference point since the coordinates include the whole bridge. Below are the specs:Ends of the bridge are:n 38:16:12, w85:45:42 and n38:15:30, w85:46:01---------------------------------------------------------------------; File to exclude objects from default fs2004 Header( 1 38.27 38.25 -85.76 -85.77 )LatRange( 38.25 38.27 )Exclude( 1 n38:16:12 n38:15:30 w85:45:42 w85:46:01 ) ;default rr bridge over ohio river---------------------------------------------------------------------When I expanded the size of the header, lat range and exclude coordinates to include the second bridge that second bridge reappeared. That was very puzzling.Jim Jones

Guest jimjones

Excluding bridge files has proved, for me, a difficult process but I have finally succeeded in excluding two nearby bridges in my Louisville, Ky scenery.Following are some of the unusual things I had to do.Placed a SCASM exclude in the addon file, not in the scenery/texture where my Louisville scenery resides. Perhaps another scenery/texture pair to contain the exclude at a lower priority level would work too.Only one SCASM exclude statement worked for me. When I tried two, one for each bridge, only one of the bridges was excluded. The location of the smallest exclude area was a long trial and error process. The exclude for the railroad bridge could not be smaller than 60" x 60". The car traffic bridge was adjacent to the RR bridge so a second exclude was created, also 60" X 60" in size. As mentioned above when both these excludes were compiled in one bgl, only the RR bridge was excluded. When one exclude was used of size 60" x 120" both bridges were excluded.It should be noted that several exclude statement were compiled into one bgl in the scenery directory for Louisville. One of these statements was quite large and had already excluded the bridge area.The only conclusion I can make of this is that my circumstances required a rather unorthodox process, compared to what I have experienced with FS2002. Perhaps the bridges are unusual and don't conform to what we designers are used to. I have noticed that there is now a file on AVSIM, called temp_bridge.zip that will remove all the MS bridges except the custom made ones, and has an undo process as well. I've not tried this yet.Jim Jones

Thank You - Thank YouI have been trying for hours to exclude some default roads with Ground2K (the roads are in the wrong place). Layer 31 and 32 worked fine in FS2002 but layers 10 - 100 in FS2004 did not! (Layers below 10 looked to be special and I didn't try them.) Seeing your ROADS 6 comment did the trick. Excluded layer 6 and, voila, roads gone.:

Hi all.The VTP bridges ( 'autogen' ) are VTP layer 7. These can be removed with Ground2K VTP excludes, or with BGLC code, or with Christian Fumey's "defarea" program. Defarea uses FS2002 and FSUIPC. If you know the lat-long you can reproduce the area in FS2004.I don't know if Christian will register Ground2K and Defarea with Peter Dowson as a freeware program to use FSUIPC in Fs2004, or if he will use FSConnect, or if he will forego an upgrade for FS2004.I've been having trouble defining Delphi funtions in FSConnect, so I may release a new TDFCalc2004 using FSUIPC. I already have the key from Peter, and may release something next weekend.Dick