Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnC

Transparency gone.......

Guest JohnC

My FS 9 install went OK but I think some of my texture files are not properly converted to turn black into transparent......all my trees for example have a black square around them, as do my strobe lights, making the sim unusable.I am buried under a million problems in the other Forum.Anyone have a suggestion to check this out?....what about the people who install this out of the box and don't even know there are flightsim forums, let alone alpha channels, blah, blah? I have already tried swapping the old FS2002 treessu.bmp map into FS9 with no change the trees are still black.I have looked at the files with DXT1BMP and they both look the same except that the FS9 file is 1024 by 1024 DXt1 format instead of 512 x 512 DXT1

Guest JohnC

Default scenery:-) I know what you're thinking:D

lol, well thanks for assuming I am thinking! I haven't been able to recreate your problem with default textures. what's ur vid card? latest drivers? dx9? check dxdiag...any problem? latest via 4in1? etc.etc...

Guest JohnC

Dx9 is in because FS 9 says it won't run without it.Notes in DxDiag says everything OK ...........FS2002 is in a different partition but it runs OK with a normal 512 treesSU bmp.......FS 9 doesn't display properly with its own treesSU OR FS2002's treessu bmp swapped in.I have a vanilla NVIDIA 64M GeForce2 card that Dell puts in its XPS 8100 s.I haven't swapped in latest drivers because I thought it was a long shot but will do so now.I Appreciate your interest.

I found the same thing in my VC cockpit. The stuff that was once transparent now isn't. It is really hard to fly with no windows. While trying to find a solution I found that anything that was black was now transparent. I had a sky blue color used for my transparent parts. I need the black in other areas. I had to go back and repaint the windows black and then us FSDS2.0's "make texture transparent feature". It worked fine. I really don't know if this helps you. I am having my own problems and I can't get help. My scenery tiles for my add on are missing. They aren't even there. They work in 2002 but not here. BTW...from what I have seen so far black is the only thing you can make transparent. I am waiting to see feed back from others.

the alpha channel within a dxt1 + alpha file is a guarenteed way to establish transparency in an object texture. It almost sounds like you were working with extended bmp files in your description. even black shows not transparent in that file format. I'll be fsds2.0 "make texture transparent feature" converts the file to dxt1+alpha.Problem is, John's talking about issues in the default. That's a whole different ballgame.B

I dont know if it convert to DXT1+alpha. It is something I just tried. Well, becasue it is the only thing I know how to do. I am great at making buildings and textures but i have to work with the old bmp way. I am trying to find someone to teach me the new stuff with out learnignall the coding. I have alot of nice stuff done but I can't get it to working the sim itself

Guest JohnC

Amazingly the latest video drivers did the trick for me. :-jumpy .altho my framerates are still in the toilet. I concluded (erroneously) that it would be unlikely in the extreme to have FS2002 work and FS9 not work properly until I installed a driver that was dated in May 2001.

Guest JohnC

Download DXTBMP by Martin Wright and look in his help section...he has some good stuff about file formats...and good luck,BTW...I can sympathize.