Sign in to follow this  

I Need Lihue Pictures!!!

The title pretty much says it all. I need any and every picture available of Lihue Airport, Kauai. Please don't bother telling me to search Google or something like that, because I've milked the internet of every picture containing the tiniest sliver of the airport. Pictures from vacations are great, aerial photos are excellent. Even better, if you are a pilot who flies to Lihue, you would be the greatest person in the world if you took some pictures next time you visit the airport and sent them to me. I'm trying to make a highly detailed and accurate scenery for the airport and the surrounding area, but it is very hard to determine the layout and "textures" of the airport with the resources that I currently have. Any picture containing the airport is good, even if it is just the parking lot or baggage claim or something like that. PLEASE SEND PICTURES TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS: blink355@hotmail.com. Anybody who helps me will have their name included in the scenery credits.Mahalo,

Yeah, what I was really looking for are actual pictures. I actually already found that diagram (like I said, I think I've found every picture of Lihue on the internet) but the airport information will be useful. There was also a lot of data for the airport on Airnav.com, as well as a satellite photo of the airport, but it was too small to be of much use. Thanks for replying!

Perhaps I could help you here a little.Actually I have made pretty detailed scenery for Lihue back in 2000. I used FSDS and Airport. The scenery was in fact too detailed for the performance of the computers at the time. Bottom line the frame rates slightly sucked. That was primarly reason why the scenery was never published. It was made based on real pilot photographic materials, for which I am eternaly gratefull to him. Photos are available in large number - so is the scenery. IMHO it is still good even by todays standards just objects need to be ported into gMax, textured and made compatible with current version of FS. And here is suggestion of the deal ... How about we together redo this scenery once again and moreover this time we will include the terrain of entire island of Kauai. Plenty to keep us both busy for a while. So, if interested, send me please an answer possibly including, if you dont mind, few pictures of some of your work. Ted

There are times that good intentions can be really completely wasted by a stupid or tactless move. This has sadly happened to me today and for which I am truly ashamed and sorry. On the second reading of my "offer" it looks that by asking Scott for pictures I somehow cast in doubt the quality of his work. This in addition to my failure to offer him an unconditional access to my photo collection. That should have never happened and I pray for Scott's forgivness. My offer still stands, however, because that was my only true and leading intention of that post - to share the fun together. Ted

No apology needed! Sorry I couldn't respond sooner, but I had some other stuff to do today. Your offer sounds like a great idea, I was hoping to redo more than just Lihue also. Just so you know, I'm not an actual pilotn and I'm not exactly an expert scenery designer either. I've never released anything to the public, because there have only been a few sceneries that I've worked on, none of which I've completely finished. I was hoping to make Lihue my first "big" scenery that I could release. I've started work on Lihue already (a little bit). Here's a pic of my redone Nawiliwili Harbor, which is just south of the airport:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/28262.jpgI also have a few pictures of Blakely Island (38WA), which is another scenery that I have been working on. As you can see, I remeshed the island as well as redid the coastline (but I haven't finished matching the coast to the mesh) and I made some boat macros to go in the harbor as well as a ferry (I made the ferry before FS2004 came out, which has the same ferry as a default that is probably a little better than mine). Also included is a photo of the real Blakely Island airport. By the way, could I see some shots of your Lihue scenery? I'd just like to see how much you've done so far. Thanks a million for responding to the post! Also Xamreg, thanks for the pictures; they will definitely help!

So, then we have a deal after all. Here are the requested pics. First Nawiliwili Harbor - real shot to give side by side comparison of accuracy of your work, and proof that I have photos here from every department. And second 2 shots of my Lihue scenery. So before further ado lets start Kauai 2004 Project .....Ted

The airport looks really good. Were the screens taken in FS2000 or FS2002? I have some pictures of places around Kauai that I took from a helicopter flight, and there are a few of the airport (but they don't show too much detail; that's why I was asking for other pics). They could help as reference pictures. Kauai looks pretty dry in FS2004, some landclass modification is definitely going to be needed. I'm also making some photorealistic palm tree and tropical plant macros, they will help in the scenery. I'm going to be gone until tomorrow night, so don't expect another post for several hours. Whew, I think that's it.

Guest JohnC

I seem to recall that in a Book called Over Hawaii, you might be able to find some Kuaui pics. ...including Nawiliwili port and Lihue airport.You may find this book (there is a whole series) Over San Francisco, Over Yosemite...in Borders.....Barnes and Noble...mine is in FLA but when I get down there I will look and see.......