Sign in to follow this  

FS2004 Library Procedure

Guest jimjones

Library Procedure for fs2004I would like to share some experiences I've had with FS2004's Library.I certainly don't like the new Library procedure compared with what we had with FS2002, but as I read elsewhere this was necessary to overcome some stability problems.The first thing I noticed was that the Library is not a part of the World menu system. This means if you are in the sim you must exit and re-enter it to make any changes. Ok, that's not too bad but it sure slows down the development process. The next surprise was that when adding scenery, once a scenery is added via the Library, one must exit the sim and restart it, otherwise if one tries to fly just after adding the scenery the new scenery does not appear.When making changes via the library those changes are not completed in the scenery.cfg file until one proceeds to the flight portion of the sim. If one makes changes to the library then exits and examines the scenery.cfg file the numbering system for the sceneries may look scrambled. For me it seems that the first scenery had an [Area.001], but a Layer=2, and the Layer=1 statement was at the end of the file. Then when the sim was run in flight mode and exited the individual sceneries had the same numbers,xxx, for [Area.xxx] and Layer=xxx as it should.I don't know if it is safe to edit the scenery.cfg file if changes were made via the Library, before flying the sim. I seem to have messed up my scenery.cfg file by doing this such that I had to use a backup scenery.cfg to get things back in sync.Jim Jones

Guest Frank Betts

I've completely deleted the scenery config file and let it build a new one. I 've had a mis mash of different scenery's added and just started over and it cleaned it up. Just a thought for you. :-smile12

It's best to edit scenery.cfg while FS200X is not running. Make sure you use a plain text editor and you should be OK as long as you make sure each area and layer number are unique and you stick to the format indicated by the existing entries.If any FS2002 users are finding it a pain to transfer across all their scenery library entries from FS2002 to FS2004, you could consider using my free FSMigrate tool:http://www.visualflight.co.uk/FS2004Toolkit/JohnVisual Flighthttp://www.visualflight.co.uk