Sign in to follow this  

Major Help Needed with API creation!

I have EOD, FSSC, AutoCAD, and GMax. Okay, I am creating a military base by adding more buildings and scenery to allow for VFR flying around it and will later add military AI aircraft to take off and land there. I am trying to make it detailed to a point of not killing frame rates. Now, this base has satellite dishes enclosed in giant spheres that resemble golf balls. I opened EOD and it doesn't allow you to create spheres or domes (could put two domes together), I quickly made something in AutoCAD to full scale, imported it via DXF into GMax, and now I am trying to make it into an API to insert into FSSC. My goal is just to get it into FSSC via the macro insertion capability. I have most of the airport done in it and just need these because they are pretty significant to the scenery. Some PLEASE help as I am pulling my hair out trying to figure this out and don't have much left! Thanks for any help that is offered!

You can make a library BGL for your object with FsRegen and then call that with a macro. I have made a tutorial about how to do this, you can find it on my website (link in my signature).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for!

Guest JohnC

Arno, from Gwas,couldn't he just make it as a separate bgl with MAKEMDL and stick it in the scenery folder?

Doesn't that require specific lat/long coordinates? What would I put in for that, and would I have to modify the API "script" to change the location? These are specific locations for these "golf balls" for VFR flights and I'm working off several mosaiked images taken from a web site. Technically I could place them in their actual location and have a non-excluded scenery file in that area, but the extra overhead of pulling in multiple sceneries for one airport (I do have a fully AI stocked DIA(KDEN) just north of it dropping my frame rates enough), that it doesn't sit comfortably. It's bad enough these are spheres.

If you make the BGL direct from GMax you have no API and thus also don't need to place the object with FSSC. I think if you use the object more then once the library/API approach is also better.And for most other object I prefer it as well, to keep the number of BGL files low.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

That's what I was thinking, thanks all for your help and different viewpoints!

Guest Firestriker

As a point of interest, are you using a standard Sphere or a GeoSphere? If you are using a standard Sphere you can reduce the poly count a bunch by using a GeoSphere. "This type of sphere spreads the polygon faces, which are all equal in size, around the object instead of concentrating them on either end like a normal Sphere object. This makes the GeoSphere object easier to model while using less memory. One reason for this is that a GeoSphere uses triangle faces instead of square faces." (From the Gmax Bible)

Oh now this complicates things. :) Well, I have another matter entirely, now I am running into a problem where GMax does not want to open any previously saved files that I create. I can open files from the tutorials. I am using version 1.2. Until I get this resolved I will not be able to create anything, gesphere or not.

Your problem is due to the latest hotfix from MS. After you remove that GMax will work fine. More info here on the GMax support forums:http://d217859.bo21.bootlegweb.com/forum/c...ic;f=3;t=000091

Arno

Aha! Thanks again! That fixed it, now to mess around with things! I'll post how it goes here!