Sign in to follow this  
Guest lawyerpilot

Fs2002dw.cfg!! Where did that come from?--virus?

Guest lawyerpilot

In the last day or so, I have been having some strange things happen in FS2k2. I have never had any problems, no lockups, no blurries (thank god), no issues really. Than all of a sudden, My baron flight dynamics(Steve Small's-so I can't get it back), my 172 dynamics, and my Commander (very strange the choice of planes, eh?) went to krap.(*#@$. My 172 just falls out of the sky and I had to reinstall the Commander. I have not reinstalled the 172 off of CD yet, and I b/c Steve isn't sending out his great Baron file anymore, I am screwed. But, I have made no changes to those planes or anything in general, other than downloading the Convair in the last few days and the Italian program that places buildings and tress in the right place. Any ideas?Furthermore, at full throttle, sound is there, etc. but the 172 just sits on the rwy unrepsonsive. Why would certain files corrupt and not others?P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate PilotPIC- Warrior, Archer, 172N-SP, Aztec, Malibu "Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

I also have fs2002dw.cfg and it appears to be identical to FS2002.cfg. I suspect that it's a backup of FS2002.cfg that was created by some add-on installer and therefore not the cause of your problem. David

Guest lawyerpilot

merci. I just rewalized there is a problem with the KA 350 as well. Just a little thrust---gets me to about 80 by the end of 6000 ft rwy.This is ridiculous>I also have fs2002dw.cfg and it appears to be identical to >FS2002.cfg. I suspect that it's a backup of FS2002.cfg that >was created by some add-on installer and therefore not the >cause of your problem. >>David P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar AssociationNTSB Bar AsssociationPIC- Warrior, Archer, 172N-SP, Aztec, Malibu SIC (for fun)- Conquest, King Air c90"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest SD Sim

Is it possible that you recently saved a flight as default with an inadvertent save of an unusual control setting? Perhaps a long shot, but you might try moving all your saved flights to a new location and then restarting FS2K2 and create a new default flight. Just a thought.

Start simple. Delete FS2002.cfg, the dw.cfg, and then boot the game. It will rebuild the cfg file. Then go and customize your settings, and test the problem planes. Sounds more like a controller issue than a flight sim one, but the above will blank any strange controller settings you may have messed up accidentally. Also, make sure your control device is plugged in firmly, make sure you're not pulling too much power from a USB hub. Report back.michael

Guest lawyerpilot

WEll, final count, I cannot use the 172, the King Air, The Falcon, The Extra, The Dornier 228. The Embraer by Bill Grabowski, or the Pilatus Porter. This is ridiculous!!!! Everything else seems fine. Even though I did not modidy those planes' air files, is it possible that a gauge cleaner or weight and balance computer I used the other day could have done it?P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar AssociationNTSB Bar AsssociationPIC- Warrior, Archer, 172N-SP, Aztec, Malibu "Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

In the last couple of days, my autopilot is sporadic, i lost most of my navigation data, and some of my aircrafts' characteristics have changed for the worse. just noticed this stuff in the last couple of days.

Guest lawyerpilot

.....In the last day or two. I know this sounds like a conspiracy theory, but I am beginning to think that there may be a sim virus. Obviously isolated enough that Norton would not have it in thier list. We definately have the knoweledge among the major players in the industry to do it. My damn flight models have gone to &^&^%$!!!! And the only thing that I have done is download a weight and balance computer and used it on the heavies. And, I downloaded a couple of AFCAD updates for airports as well as the Convair. I flew every model and you will see the aircraft in the above post that are problematic. Of the group, the only that I used the weight and balance computer on, was the Embraer. All other heavies that I used it on are perfect!But, it seems to have affected the default models the most....(of course the default models that I had patched up with Small and Freimuth's updates. Of which i cannot get back!!! Anyone that would be willing to send me the Small Baron non TC version?) As for the 172, I will wait for Roger Long's upcoming tweak. And the King Air, well, I just don't know, any suggestions? And finally, the dassault, Pilatus Porter, and Embraer's all have to be re-downloaded!!!!!!! Such a pain in the arse!!! Oh well, I guess that's what you get for not having any problems since the release!Bump for the morning.>In the last couple of days, my autopilot is sporadic, i lost >most of my navigation data, and some of my aircrafts' >characteristics have changed for the worse. just noticed >this stuff in the last couple of days. P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar AssociationNTSB Bar AsssociationPIC- Warrior, Archer, 172N-SP, Aztec, Malibu SIC (for fun)- Conquest, King Air c90"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

The FS2002dw.cfg file and another file related to DirectX are generated when fs2002 detects a failure when in use. You should receive a notification to send a report to Microsoft. The contents of these two files are sent to Microsoft for analyzing the problem. You can safely delete these files after you have sent/not sent the report to Microsoft, since new files will be generated the next time a failure occurs.You might update your virus software and run a complete scan of your system, since several serious viruses are making their rounds throughout the Internet community.

Come to think of it, could AFCAD be the cause of my navigation problems? when i try to plan a flight, the flight planner won't recognize about 70% of my airports. this wasn't so before i used AFCAD. I'M NOT BLAMING AFCAD! i'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

Which weight and balance computer did you use? I downloaded one a few days ago and there was nothing in the zip except an exe file, no readme, no instructions, nothing. Winzip didn't recognize it as a self extracting file. I got nervous and didn't run it. I posted a question to see if anyone else had run it but got no replies, not even a defensive one from the author. Maybe the one you ran is it.It might not be a virus. Such a program would have to read and rewrite the aircraft.cfg file. A small mistake and it could screw up the whole plane. I've thought of writing one but there are so many ways it could go wrong I decided it was a bad idea.Is there any correspondence between the aircraft you ran the W&B on and the ones that don't work now?

HI Christopher,Apart from a possible bug, the only thing that could be upsetting your flight models is that somehow they have been processed by the Microsoft FD editor bundled with FS2002.I would caution anyone against using this questionable piece of software, ESPECIALLY with any third party aircraft. Any edit, however tiny, using this "editor", inserts (whether you want it to or not) several new parameters into the airfile of the aircraft you edit. One of these parameters actually does fix the tendency of some aircraft (including the Falcon) to bump about on some runways with a strong tailwind.Unfortunately it also introduces 4 competely mad (in my opinion)parameters which utterly ruin the pitch stability of most aircraft. It is quite clear to me that these parameters are inadequately tested or developed, and the only way to stop them ruining any third party aircraft is to open the airfile and remove them, or preferably re-download and install the airfiles from scratch.That said, I hope you find the solution to your problem.Best Regards,Rob Young

Guest lawyerpilot

Ah, like the Phoenix from the ashes! Where ya been Rob? Have you been working on your boat? Anyway, it's the strangest thing. I literally have no forward thrust even though the gauges all say that I have full power and externally the props are spinning. Furthermore, if you place them at any altitude in map view or switch over in mid flight, they simply fall out of the sky!!! It is as if the files no longer have parameters. (In the KA, 172, dassault, Embraer are the most noticeable.AH HAH!!!!!! I FOUND IT WHILE I WAS READING THIS POST!!!!!! EVEN THE MODELS THAT I DID NOT MODIFY WITH WBC.exe were changed and the old air file was saved as "aircraft.old"..... So I was right!!! Be careful with this weight and balance thing. WBC.exe. All you have to do, is remove the aircraft.cfg in the folders that you see the aircraft.old next to, and then rename the .old file to .cfg, and whallah!, your back in business.Thanks to everyone, but be careful with this crazy thing....no offense meant to the authors....