Sign in to follow this  
LuisFelizTirado

ground2k translation and altitudes

Guest TMY

Even if the question can seem strange, but my dictionary (I am Italian) it translates with the same meaning "coast" and "shoreline." Someone can explain what difference is among the two terms. Other question: in ground2k as they are created some lines of coast to precipice? Thanks to whom can kindly help me.

Ok, here's my best attempt at help:"Coast" is the division between land and sea - the line where the water meets the land."Shoreline" is the graphic which represents a transition between the water and land. In Ground2K this is represent by things like beaches and waves. For example, you could make a lake which would have a "coast", but it does not necessarily have to have a "shoreline". In Ground2K, you have the choice of "Poly without shore", and "Poly with shore". When you choose "Poly with shore" Ground2K automatically adds the shoreline for you but they are actually two different parts (I think). Hmmm. I hope that makes a bit of sense.- Martin

Guest TMY

OK Martintanks very very much

Ciao whatever your name is,A coast is a piece of land. You can create a coast in Ground2K by drawing a polygon and filling it with land - that is: - choose "Poly without shore" or "Poly with shore"; - choose "LWM" (Land/Water Mask); - choose "Land" to fill the polygon with land.A shoreline is a decorative element that follows the edge of your coast polygon. It can be a beach, a bank, etc. In Ground2K, draw a line along the edge of your coast polygon and: - select "Line/LakeShore"; - select the type of shoreline, its width, etc.Ground2k can draw both elements at the same time if you choose "Poly with shore". Only use this option if you want the same type of shoreline all along your coast.As for your second question, forgive me but I do not understand what you mean by "coast to precipice". Perhaps you could elaborate - do you mean that you want to place cliffs on the edge of your coast (like Capri)?Best regards.Luis

Guest TMY

my name is Antonio I attach you an image. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/29438.jpg (perpendicular rock to the sea without beach sand-blasts or other) I have tried it has to insert a value in "Altitude (m) " in the window main; I have tried to replace the value "-99999" in "Altitude meters " of the window LWM; but besides the earth, the sea also raises him. It is always with degrading course. It is never perpendicular.Tanks

Ciao Antonio,Very interesting project. Just wondering where it is?To get elevated coasts in Ground2K version 4, you can do 1 of 2 things (or maybe even both):1)draw a new coast and declare it as "Poly without shore" - "LWM" and on the LWM tab, select "Land" and enter an altitude of 10 meters. The entire coast polygon will have this elevation.(Note that if your new coast extends out beyond the point where the default coast was, you may find that the old water elevation (altitude 0 meters) will be applied to parts of your new coast. To remedy this, use method 2.)or2) use the Re-mesh function to add elevation points to your project.It is difficult to get an exactly vertical cliff face in Flight Simulator. The steepness of your cliff will depend on the resolution of the underlying mesh if you use the first method above, or on the horizontal resolution that you choose in the Re-mesh method.While you may not get exactly vertical, it may still look good, and anyway, better than the default.Best regards.Luis

Guest TMY

The image is the extreme edge of Italy, Saint Maria of Leuca. "The heel of the boot" I had already tried with both the methods but the problem it is that the sea slowly finds again him to the same height of the coast and then it degrades to zero.

Ciao Antonio,So, that is the heel - very interesting.I have had this same problem before and finally solved it with a normal SCASM flatten using Flight Simulator Scenery Creator (by Derek Leung, available in the AvSim library.)I have no idea why the normal terrain flattening methods in Ground2K do not work for you, but maybe if you flatten the area differently with the above method, you will get better results.Best results.Luis