Sign in to follow this  
Guest christian

new FS9 opcodes doc + call for help

Guest christian

I've written a brief summery in BGLC macros of what I have figured out so far from the new FS9 bgl structure. This is far from being complete, and it won't compile into something useful either yet.I just want to share this in the hope that'll motivate more people to unravel the new FS9 mysteries. It shoud be a pretty good start, but knowledge of (or willingness to learn) hexcode is essential.I really need people to help me. It's just so much new stuff, I'd be going for ever. AFDCAD will have some new functionality, but Lee Swordy wrote that it won't include everything from the start. So, relying on the next AFDCAD version is not going to help. (And the SDK is probably about two years away...)It would be great if we could get 5 or so people together.I attached the file as a word document, so changes can be made visible (in colour). Please send changes to me, not to here, I'll make a list of participants, and we can keep each other updated.I forgot a few minor things, but otherwise the document should be a good start on how to make some changes with a hexeditor to existing scenery.Cheers, Christian

Hi Christian,I'd love to dive in and learn the mysteries of FS9, especially because I've got some scenery projects that depend on it. I'm inexperienced with hexcode editing, but am familiar with programming in general and have a good aptitude for learning IMHO. I have a couple of questions, though. First of all, what hex editor do you use or would you recommend? Also, where do you find the opcodes to begin with, are they just from examining FS9 scenery with the editor and scanning for the function calls? My big problem with learning how this all works is a lack of some foundations to start with, but I'm more than willing to jump in -- I just need a little shove ;-).thanks,

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest Cazador

Dear Christian:In what can i help you?I want to change the default FS2004 AFD to match my custom airports with the GPS screen. My ILS airport and menus don't give me the data of my ADDon acenery i got the data of the default bad placed aiports.I used a progam Hexedit to view the Airport list on the AP****.bgl files in FS2004Thanks.Alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Perumendiola@terra.com.pe

Guest JR Morgan

Hi All... Well, as Forest Gump (and Dick Ludowise) would say: "Life is just'a box'a chocalates" --- and appears I might have stumbled-upon a 'sweet one' :-smile12Here's a pic of 2 AGN bridges I found in "Terrain.cfg" that had the ObjLib Hex ID codes published there. 'Thought I'd try them, using an original api macro inspired by Dick's SCASM suggested code in an earlier post, and using the AFW 2.95build 166 GUI.The Results:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/30276.jpgThere's no doubt a wealth of potential in that file (Terrain.cfg) for you C+ and/or BGLC experts; Re: the "//autogen format" section info.I'm not smart enough to do justice to the project Christian proposes but I thought some of you might be able to take the ball and run with it. Frankly, I think M$ has given us most (if not all) we need to know to make this the best and easiest to program scenery platform that MS has issued to date. J.R

Guest DDT2003

I'm trying to figure out FS9's timezone.bgl file. That way, I can update and release my timezone files compatible with FS9. I've already converted all my SCASM source files to BGLC ASMs, but without the header information and lat/long convention figured out, I can't get my files to work.

Guest rafaelds

Did the format change?I tested those timezone updates available here at Avsim and they seemed to work correctly, so I assumed the format had not changed.Magnetic declination still uses the same system, too.

Guest DDT2003

Those are my files (TZ21.zip, and its updates). I can't get them to work with FS9. They're simply ignored. Try taking your aircraft to Darwin, Australia, where the TZ is supposed to be UTC+9.5. FS9 is showing UTC+8 instead.

Guest rafaelds

Didn't know you were the author. Glad to talk to you!I will re-check. It seemed to me that timezones in Brasil were corrected (for example, in the default TZ there's a difference between Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, and with your files it's corrected).

Guest DDT2003

I believe Sao Paulo is UTC - 3 hours by default because of its longitude. If you fly east of 45W, where Rio is located the time will change to UTC-2 and will also reload scenery if it was previously nearly dusk,and the sun will again be shining.Both cities, as you know are supposed to be UTC-3 this time of year.

Guest rafaelds

Exactly.Just confirming, it really does not work. I could swear it worked when I first tested it, but it seems it was my mistake. Sorry.

Guest christian

Why don't you make the new timezone bgl code public, or add it to my document. After all this is what this thread is about...The header info is in my document. I'm still a bit unsure about some values, but I'm getting the general idea.I think that lat/lon is using a grid approach, similar to the LOD grid in TMF files. What I think is that the initial 8 has to be dropped and the next values make up the grid reference. Then, the lat / lon values in the individual macros refer to some offset within that grid cell. I'll still have to work out the excact algorithm though. Help would be appriciated.I'll have a look at the new timezones today if I can find the time...Cheers, Christian