Sign in to follow this  

Rivers in FS2004 creates little depresions

Guest Cazador

Dear All:I have a phototerrain scenery for Lima Peru and the default river (bad placed) creates a depresion and where would be a flat terrain for Lima City.Is there a way to exclude the depresions created by the FS2004 default rivers. Expample ==> ----___---- Thanks.alfredo Mendiola LoyolaLima Peru

yes, this is the killer so far for me. If that darned depression hadn't of appeared, I'd still be designing as before, but it looks awful now...and getting my river into their groove has been impossible so far.I've near given upNot completely, but I'm drained at the moment with trying different projections...I don't have the money for global mapper....sigh...I keep thinking that I'd be able to have a good match by reprojecting my image, but it could be that the grooves for the rivers are wrong, in which case, its a lost cause.Hope we find the answer!Bob Bernstein

Guest GerrishGray

The 'grooves' for rivers are a feature of VTP2 lines in FS2004. Their appearance is controlled by data contained in the file terrain.cfg which you will find in your main FS2004 folder. This file can be edited with notepad.exe etc.If you want to have all your rivers flat on the terrain with no groove (like earlier, less realistic, versions of FS), or perhaps just reduce the depth of the groove, you could edit the two lines saying 'offset=-10' in the first two entries in the file. But the effect will be global and change all rivers/streams in all parts of the FS world.CheersGerrish

Thanks Gerrish, this is interesting. It would appear like this change would not affect anyone elses computer however, so an upload would only look good on my computer, for everyone else it would still look bad, eh?B

Guest PaavoP

You can always add a small recommendation in Your scenery readme file to edit terrain.cfg.

Guest GerrishGray

Well ... yes. But personally I think that the new 'groove' feature is a great addition to the overall appearance of the scenery and I wouldn't want to do away with it myself. It looks more realistic than the old rivers flat on the terrain, and also helps to disguise the 'uphill river' problem to a certain extent.Perhaps what we need is a modified version of terrain.cfg with additional classes of river etc. with different degrees of depression, so that users of Ground2k could have more control over the appearance of their sceneries ... It's no good each scenery designer trying to do this independently, we would need a coordinated effort so that we could all share the same file.CheersGerrish

Hi Gerrish on a related subject I am thinking of re-doing the water textures(using several tools including Maya unlimited's fluid dynamics and rendering out some bit maps to use in FS9) I would like to know if I can add a proper "river" texture as an example.In other words is it even possable to add a "river" texture. I can model just about any fluid I can care to think of including cloudshaze, smoke but I thought it might be "simple" LOL to start with water textures. Dan.