Sign in to follow this  
Guest DDT2003

Anybody got Q824136 yet?

Guest hefy_jefy

Hi all,Has anybody got the Fix for the corrupt GMAX files from MS yet? I have been trying but they are REALLY busy just now.Incidentally I don't regard the suggestion of removing the original Hotfix 824136 as a serious solution, apparently an uprotected machine connected to the Internet over the weekend took just 25secs to get the virus!Geoff

Guest DDT2003

>Hi all,>>Has anybody got the Fix for the corrupt GMAX files from MS>yet? I have been trying but they are REALLY busy just now.>URL?? The Microsoft Flight Sim download page has nothing new. I monitor that page daily looking for the SDKs.>Incidentally I don't regard the suggestion of removing the>original Hotfix 824136 as a serious solution, apparently an>uprotected machine connected to the Internet over the weekend>took just 25secs to get the virus!>What virus? MSBlast? That's a different Hotfix: From Windows Update HomePage:QUOTESteps to Protect Yourself from the Blaster Worm To protect yourself from the Blaster Worm and its variants, users of the following products: Microsoft Windows

Guest hefy_jefy

Yes, I know its available on request but you can't get through to MS!

Hi DDT,Just for the information. With the hotfix installed you will not be able to use GMax anymore. That's why we need that other hotfix, which solves that problem. But it is not yet available to the public.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest DDT2003

OK, I see now. I found the information in another thread in this forum.I was confused initially, since I hadn't seen that other thread until this morning.However, whatever you do, DO NOT attempt to remove Hotfix 823980. The MSBlast worm will attack your computer if you do.

I am trying to find that now. Would a good firewall and/or router not been able to block those ports and thereby preventing the worm to work?

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Guest DDT2003

I have Norton Personal Firewall installed. It blocks (stealths) access to port 135. I believe ZoneAlarm will also protect you. You also need a good Anti-virus program running.If you have access to a second computer with Win9x (Win98 or WinME) installed, my recommendation would be to use GMAX on it. MSBlast doesn't affect Win9x computers.

Guest AMC612

I have Northon antivirus of symantec fully ypdates and I removed MS hotfix so that GMAX work. Shall I reinstall it and not use Gmax?Mauro

Guest DDT2003

You need a good firewall program and your Norton Anti-virus program if you keep the Hotfix removed. Otherwise, you should reinstall the Hotfix if you're going to be connected to the Internet.

Guest AMC612

Ok than, I have to reinstall the Hot fix and say good by to GMAX for now :-((((((Best RegardsMauro CaruanaMt-foc@ivao.orgSENIOR FLIGHT CAPTAIN