Sign in to follow this  
bob.bernstein

Why did Microsoft mess up airport locations in Fs2004 ?

Guest PaulL01

I am also seeing strange things, I have a perfectly placed Ortho corrected photoreal scenery of Monroe county in Rochester NY and it matches up perfectly with FSGenesis 38m mesh but the main airport in FS9 seems to be off by over 100m to the north and 300 to the west, so somthing is not right.I still have to verify the runway thresholds lat/lon real vs sim vs photo.

What's the airport identifier? I'd like to check it out but I can't find any airports in New York with "Monroe" in the name.

Guest PaulL01

well after a proper look It would seem FS runway thresholds are in their correct lat/lon, at least here in Rochester.I must have made a blunder here, now to find it. :-roll

Paul, have you converted your ortho photo to geodetic projection? Without conversion, you can expect the image not to match your runway. The USGS Digital Ortho-Quadrangles are in Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) projection using the North American datum of 1983 (NAD83). The FS world uses a geodetic projection (i.e., lat/long) with the World Geodetic System 84 (WGS84) system. I've been messing with ways to convert, without forking out bucks for global mapper. with the demo, you can see a screen shot of the converted image, and with a good graphics program, I've been able to get a fair match.Bob Bernstein

Guest PaulL01

>Paul, have you converted your ortho photo to geodetic>projection? Without conversion, you can expect the image not>to match your runway. The USGS Digital Ortho-Quadrangles are>in >Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) projection using the North>American datum of 1983 (NAD83). The FS world uses a geodetic>projection (i.e., lat/long) with the World Geodetic System 84>(WGS84) system. >>I've been messing with ways to convert, without forking out>bucks for global mapper. with the demo, you can see a screen>shot of the converted image, and with a good graphics program,>I've been able to get a fair match.>>Bob Bernstein Hi Bob,Thanks but I'm not sure I understand... I have Arcview as well as GlobalMapper, I use Global mapper to output the raster data at high res, I then edit in Photoshop and resize according to what FS ResampleTools wants to fill an FS area at *lat/lonI have changed the datum as you suggest to Wgs84 but still get the same Lat/lon it is just the raster data changes and that doesn't matter does it? If I have a Myscenery.bmp at 10240x10240 or have it at 2200x2200 that can't be an issue as I tell FS Resample tools that the edges are at X lat/lon it will tell me that it wants the Myscenery.bmp to be resized at say 6559x8277 to be 4.xx meters and then it calculates where it will sample from the Bmp at X/Y to fill a Fs Lod 13 area.I'm scratching my head on this one, What do you think?

at work now, can't give it deep thought, but my conversions did produce a sense of rotation between the converted and unconverted ortho image....you don't see this?

Guest PaulL01

>at work now, can't give it deep thought, but my conversions>did produce a sense of rotation between the converted and>unconverted ortho image....you don't see this?Rotation...Hmmm... That could be, though the Geo lat/lon seemed to be identical but the total image could indeed get rotated with good result However I didn't notice this as I can only work on small portions at time as the data is about 1000sq miles+ at 1-foot/pix full color so the end result could actually be rotated but I am only checking a small portion.I'll have to look at it again, Thanks for the info, I can't believe that I have missed this along the way some how...Arrrghhh! :)

I know how you feel, I've accepted for some time that some strange mystery of life caused everything to be always out of wack, but it wasn't till this summer in one of the threads in this forum that I learned what I wrote a bit ago. A fellow named Holger Sandman is really the expert on this stuff, I think hes a geographer by trade. Thanks Holger for teaching!It gets really wierd when you try to put photo images over an area that includes runways a good distance apart in longitude...the further you get from one of the zonal centers the more different the utm projection gets compared to equiangular...I found that giving harvey field the proper rotation of a utm image left monroe's airport TOTALLY in the "wrong" place, which made no sense til I started to look into this. Course at that time I was simply rotating, I'm not sure exactly what reprojection does...I do know it stretches the heck out of the longitudanal direction. Cheers,Bob B

Well this is an old post (for those who remember it!).Now 8 months later we have the first scenery package almost ready.This post is where it all started from .Feel free to browse the screenshots...www.avsim.com/greece/sceneryKyprianos Biris :-cool[link:avsim.com/greece/hvacc]Hellenic vACChttp://vateud.org/images/vatsim-eurs.gifhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg

Hellenic vACC - Olympic Aegean Virtual

Prepar3D 5.3 | CPU i9 10900K | VGA: RTX 3070 | RAM: 32GB DDR4 | Monitor: 3440x1440