Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

A few pics showing how to do a simple model with splines

Hi All( for the newer people here) I thought I would show how to makea simple building model useing splinesPic#1 Draw a closed spline shapePic#2 extrude spline into 3D (modifiers mesh editing extrude)shown in perspective view.Pic#3 result of extrudePic#4 make another spline by traceing over the "inside" edge of theolder extruded splinePic#5 the second spline now extruded into 3DPic#6 the end result it took me about two minutes to create the above.One can make almost any shape of building with this method and yournormals will allways face out I.E no need to mirrorcopy or flip normals. And if one uses splines one has good control over the numberof polly's created when converted to a mesh. Oops it seems I have posted my max number of pics 4 sorry! Hope this is of some help to those just starting out creating objcts. Dan

Nice tip Dan, I am sure it will help people who are learning how to make things easier :).

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Thank You Arno!I will be doing up the new terminal at CYYZ the same basic way(although that will take a little longer LOL)I hope that people will use our collective knoledge to allways keep it as simple.as possable Dan

Yes, I use something similar for my terminal at EHAM, but it is a lot of work (but the result is very good, so it's worth it). I have got a AutoCAD drawing of the airport and all the topdown shapes of the buildings are in there. So I loaded them into GMax and extruded them till I had the correct 3D shape.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

Yup one can model many different types of objects by extruding splines including complex compound shapes that would be hard to do any other way. I of course am looking forward to your complete project I for one know the work that goes into a "complete" scenery! Dan

Here are some in progress screenshots of the now almost finished model. I still need to add a lot of textures as you can see :).home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/screenshot_2003-08-28%201228.04.173.jpg"]pic 1home.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/screenshot_2003-08-27%202315.56.578.jpghome.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/screenshot_2003-08-27%202315.17.531.jpghome.wanadoo.nl/arno.gerretsen/pics/screenshot_2003-08-27%202314.22.906.jpgPS copy them and put http:// in front. I couldn't find a way to post only the link here, the images were loaded automatically and I think they are too big for that :).

Arno

Guest Elrond

Thats impressive work Arno. I especially like the tress support detail under that terminal and in other places - you rarely see that kind of detail in scenery that is modeled instead of an alpha texture.Great job and looking forward to it(and great job showing the extrusion example Dan),Elrond

Hey Arno, firstly, awesome work. Great model on the terminal :-eek.One question though... How did you do all those ground lines, the roads etc. are these textures? Could you post a pic showing off them from a bit closer?Thanks, and keep up the good workEtienne :-wave

They are all small roads. I have a AutoCAD drawing with all those markings in it and I "just" converted that into a SCASM source.

Arno

Yes. Of course the lines have a simple texture to give them the correct color. But I used no ground texture that contains all the lines or so.

Arno

>Yes. Of course the lines have a simple texture to give them>the correct color. But I used no ground texture that contains>all the lines or so.Thanks for the clarification.Coz I don't really like ground textures which contain the lines, since they mostly look bad and 'pixelated' lol ;-), AFAIK.CheersEtienne :-wavePS. Really looking forward to the release of this great scenery. Way to go! :-hah