Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Problem with Florida Landclass

Guest enave

I hope this is the right forum to post this question.I downloaded and installed the Florida Landclass pack for FS9, but I don't see any difference in the scenery. In particular, the barrier islands in northwest florida are still shown as farmland instead of beach terrain. I followed the installation instructions and when I started flight simulator it rebuilt the scenery indices. So I guess my question is, did I maybe do something wrong or are the barrier islands just not changed by the landclass files?Also, if someone could point me to a do-it-yourself landclass editing tutorial I will have a go at making an update myself for the benefit of anyone else living and flying in this part of the world.Thanks.

Guest JoeW

>I hope this is the right forum to post this question.>>I downloaded and installed the Florida Landclass pack for FS9,>but I don't see any difference in the scenery. In particular,>the barrier islands in northwest florida are still shown as>farmland instead of beach terrain. I followed the>installation instructions and when I started flight simulator>it rebuilt the scenery indices. So I guess my question is,>did I maybe do something wrong or are the barrier islands just>not changed by the landclass files?>>Also, if someone could point me to a do-it-yourself landclass>editing tutorial I will have a go at making an update myself>for the benefit of anyone else living and flying in this part>of the world.>>Thanks.>There should be some email addresses in the read_me. After that was coverted from the FS2002 landclass scenery I noticed that some of the areas didn't change. Most notable is the FL6v2.bgl that covers the south Florida area and the keys. For some reason the landclass doesn't work over this area and some of the islands. I just did a scenery in Chub Cay, which is north west of Nassau and I tryed to do landclass there also. It would not work. I don't know what the designers of the FS9 landclass did to these areas but it just doesn't work. I used Ground2k to put some LWM/VTP Polys for the residential areas to Chub Cay. To do this for the all the Barrier islands would be very time consuming. the next version of flightsim would be out before it would be finished.I have flown a very large area of this scenery before it was released. For the large part, you can navagate with a road map over the state.Sorry about the Barrier Islands and the Keys. There is Landclass in the bgl for these areas and it is correct, it just wont show.John Cillis wrote the program I used to do this scenery with. It's Landclass Assistant. There are several version to be downloaded, just get the latest. There is an excellant tutorial included with this program. I would be happy to assist any way I can to help. My email address is in the docs in the scenery.EnjoyJoe W.

Hi Joe.Could you give me some coordinates, or airfields where the landclass does not work? I might be able to figure something out.Dick

Hi Joe and enave. The Florida landclass set doesn't extened far enough into the water, and that's why some of the default landclasses appear at the coastal edges.If you load the worldlc.bgl into TMFViewer, then load the landclasses on top of them, you can view the problem. Use the mouse to center over the coastal areas ( Canaveral is a good area ), then use the keypad + to zoom in. Go to a yellow area ( transparent ), but note the value shown... it will be the underlying worldlc value. If it is not 100 ( water ), then it is a land value. You should be able to see the default LC extends out into the ocean another LOD13 vertex... just enough to cause the problems.Dick

Guest enave

Dick, does that mean the problem cannot be fixed?thanks

Thanks for mention of LCA Joe....I've been nervous about releasing version 1.4.... You were the only person who took me up on my offer to beta test it. Among other things (for those who don't know), version 1.4:~changes the .raw file format to 257x257 ~Includes conversion utilities to convert 256x256 .raw files to 257x257~Makes some adjustments in the user interface~Automatically fixes the "decimal/comma" issue that was seen with some European users~Employs FSConnect as the interface to MSFSSince version 1.4 hardly resembles the original version the tutorial was written around, I've also had to struggle with preparing new documentation, from scratch. That's a huge challenge with maybe an hour or two a month to play with it--in addition to the 3-400 pages of documentation and specs I have to prepare each month at my office. I've noted all this because I want folks to know version 1.4 is coming, although the lack of interest (in participating in the beta) has slowed my incentive for getting it released.-John