Sign in to follow this  
Guest hoohah

Raise altitude of an existing lake?

Guest hoohah

Hello All,I noticed that the surface of a Lake that I like to fly around is about 150 ft lower in altitude than it is in reality. Is there a way to modify the altitude of an eisting body of water in FS? Is this what Coastline Maker is used for?TIA,

Guest gorchi

Hi,You could use CoastlineMaker or Ground2000, whichever do You want. Anyway, You are talking firstly of LWM scenery, which can be used to make lakes, sea and also raise/lower the terrain (some sort of remeshing), for shoreline You will need also so-called VTP scenery. Both of these two programs (and not ot forget mention AutoASM) will do the trick but beware, You will need to redraw the lake completely!But in normal way, You need only about an hour to do it :)Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Guest hoohah

Thanks, Goran, for the info. I downloaded Coastline Maker and I may check out the other two. I was hoping to avoid too much "work". The coastline of the lake is acceptable to me, it's just that there are steep cliffs everywhere because the lake level is 650 ft MSL when it should be 795 ft MSL (it would be nearly bone dry if it dropped to 650 in real life). It looked bad with the default mesh for the area, but with high-res mesh, it's horrible :)Thanx again,

Howdy Edwin:actually, there are two more alternatives, though neither of them is going to be much quicker.1. Steve Greenwood has written a general flatten utility that allows to get rid of bleeding textures on airport aprons (his original application - http://www.fs-traveler.com/flatten.shtml) but also to raise or lower lake elevations with the default or add-on meshes. Basically, the procedure is to roughly trace the boundary of the lake and compile the coordinates and the new elevation with the utility. This is similar to making a new lake but perhaps a bit more flexible, as it allows to expand the flattened area beyond the lakeshores, if desired (and it doesn't require to find or make a map for tracing). I used this method for more than 100 lakes in my B.C./SE Alaska mesh files and it took me about 15-30 minutes per lake, depending on their size. 2. Gilles Gauthier has developed a method that directly alters the original lake's elevation. It involves decompiling the corresponding default *.hyp file, finding the lake in question, extracting its code, and recompiling the altered code as a separate .bgl. By placing the new file in a higher layer than the default scenery files, the corrected lake will take precedence. He used this method for his Quebec/Atlantic Canada meshes though I don't know how long it took him per lake.Gilles and I are working on a brief tutorial for both methods and hope to get it out to users soon.Cheers, Holger

Guest hoohah

I may try one of these techniques; they sound 'easier' for what I want to do.I've gotten side-tracked with a photo-real scenery project; but I would like to give the lake area in question a phot-real treatment also.Regards,