Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

Aircraft API macros in game?????

I have been flying at Oshkosh a bunch and while doing some tweaking, I noticed all the aircraft parked at Oshkosh if you bump up the scenery density slider. They look like blocky versions of the aircraft that come as default AI, the Cessna's, Cherokee, Mooney etc. I was wondering if it would be possible to use them as API macros for our scenery programs. With row upon row of these things displayed there is little or no frame rate hit here. They look fine for scenery additions and it would allow us to populate airports easily and with good frame rates. Plus they lok better than most API aircraft macros I have seen. I was thinking whoever recently did the autogen buildings add-on (as API's) might know how to tackle this. Thanks!Hornit

Guest gorchi

Hornit,If YOu want MS aircraft as static API, then it's almost impossible since they do not use GUID's so YOu can't call them like Arno did in those autogen macros. But maybe You can use a trick and make flightplans for these aircraft in such manner that they don't fly anywhere and You will get them.Of course there is always MDL2BGL (I think this is the name) converter for flyable aircraft and with this utility You can get more or less usable API's from MDL files. I used to use older version, which exported FS2000 aircraft to APIs but with the same aircraft I got many different results... :(Hope it helps,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi Hornit,Should be possible, as I think MS will have put these statics in an object library. But unfortunately we can't read them yet at the moment. So there is no way to find out which GUID they use.

Arno

If the world should blow itself up, the last audible voice would be that of an expert saying it can't be done.

FSDeveloper.com | Former Microsoft FS MVP | Blog

Roger that, I would think they are part of the BGL for the Oshkosh scenery...no? I havent looked yet myself. They look like the standard AI traffic, but they appear to not be the same models, they also appear to have thier own texture which fits the models. Im just thinking that they are NOT low poly/lod versions of the default traffic but actually seperate models. They are just made to look like the default traffic to blend in. There must be over a hundred individual aircraft displayed and little hit to frame rate. Might I be right in guessing they are like macros, with many rows making up a single entity? Just curious, I have not found decent API's of GA aircraft that dont destroy frame rates rather rapidly if you place a bunch of them on a scenery. Hornit